Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2012, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

48" TT bagging issue

Decided to put a bagger on the 48" Turf Tracer and I'm not too pleased with it right now. Currently the deck is on 3" and when you get to a row of leaves instead of sucking them up under the deck (vacuum) it's almost like they are blowing out in front of the deck. Very frustrating having to chase leaves all over a yard.

I've got a bagger on the Metro 36", looks very similar if not the same, and it works great. Was there anything the dealer was supposed to put on additional, or change out blades? The Metro has Gators on it, and the TT has the factory blades.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch them up first. Let the bag fill up and run them over a few times. Then bag up the rest. The smaller decks like the 48" do spit out half the leaves, while the larger 60" has more vacuum. I think it is because the 48" has shorter blades. Your 36" has longer blades, plus it is a fixed deck which helps because the deck is sloped to the front more.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try running the motor at a lower rpm.Sometimes that helps so play around with rpm till you find the sweet spot.I run a chute blocker on my TT and keep it closed and run through the lawn mulching at 2/3 rpm for the first round.If the leaves aren't super thick a second pass makes the lawn look clean cut.If the leaves are still a little thick I then drop the bagger on and proceed at 2/3 throttle and bag them up on the second run through.I also run low lift wavy mulch blades or a low lift Gator type Rotary blade which helps reduce front blowout.Thats my method that works for me, good luck and happy mulching.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddixon7 View Post
Mulch them up first. Let the bag fill up and run them over a few times. Then bag up the rest. The smaller decks like the 48" do spit out half the leaves, while the larger 60" has more vacuum. I think it is because the 48" has shorter blades. Your 36" has longer blades, plus it is a fixed deck which helps because the deck is sloped to the front more.
Even with the bag full it's like the deck is blowing the leaves out of the way and not even cutting them up. I'm talking mostly walnut, chestnut, alder, and red oak leaves....
Old 10-18-2012, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Take the "gator" blades off, put regular blades back on it should give you a better "vacumn".
Old 10-18-2012, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Take the "gator" blades off, put regular blades back on it should give you a better "vacumn".
the turf tracer does have the regular blades....
Old 10-18-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you can change the pitch easily so it's opposite from normal (pitched forward) and have it pitched back a bit, the vacuum will be greater on the front edge of the deck. Otherwise you could back over them but being a WB, it's not going to be easy.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
Even with the bag full it's like the deck is blowing the leaves out of the way and not even cutting them up. I'm talking mostly walnut, chestnut, alder, and red oak leaves....
Well it's going to do that with the bag full...the air has nowhere to go but out around the mower!! I have a 48 inch TT and I don't have any problems with it, not that bag with it a lot. Usually any blowout I get is out the right front, but I don't have any trouble getting leaves under it. Do you have both the front and rear of the deck on the same setting...4th hole counting down from the top?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
the turf tracer does have the regular blades....
In my honest opinion, the 48 spits out the leaves the worst. My 52s spit out the leaves worse than my 60s, but not as bad as the 48s I used to have. Just put the front of the deck on 3 and the back on 4 or whatever so it will be lower in the front like your fixed deck 36. What you really need is a mulch kit with the wavy blades. It will still spit them out but not nearly as bad as with a bag. I usually have someone corral them with a backpack while I'm mowing if it is spitting them out. Also, get the leaves on level ground. It will spit them out a lot worse on a slope or hill. I always blow the leaves to a flat spot.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will try the deck pitch... There isn't any baffles or anything else that comes with the bagger is there? I've ordered a set of G6 gators to try on it too.