Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2012, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Where to find tank straps???

I've searched Grainger, Northern Tool, Ebay, Tractor Supply, you name it. I can't seem to find any stainless steel tank straps. Anyone have any ideas? I'm building a skid unit. Thanks.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Oklahoma Licensed Pesticide Applicator (3a)
2013 F-150
2013 Hawkline 7x16 Enclosed Trailer
2012 Hustler X-One 60", 26hp, Flex Forks, Mulch Kit
Echo Handhelds
Custom Built Sprayer

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=417009

Old 10-14-2012, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Try using steel cable. It is plenty strong. Secure with cable clamps and maybe a turnbuckle. Or use an eyebolt that you can tighten to snug it up tight. Ideally you should have a second set of cables that go through quarter inch holes in the bed of your truck. Since the bed is thin sheet-metal...carry the cable around the frame under the bed and secure it strongly with cable clamps. You don't want that tank coming off in the event of an accident or rollover. Click my name and see mp photographs.
Naturally, if you intend to take the sprayer on and off frequently...you will want to invent a system that is quick and convenient to both secure and remove the tank.

Does anybody have suggestions when you must remove the tank--yet secure if firmly?

Last edited by RigglePLC; 10-14-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.agrochem.com/
Old 10-14-2012, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Try using steel cable. It is plenty strong. Secure with cable clamps and maybe a turnbuckle. Or use an eyebolt that you can tighten to snug it up tight. Ideally you should have a second set of cables that go through quarter inch holes in the bed of your truck. Since the bed is thin sheet-metal...carry the cable around the frame under the bed and secure it strongly with cable clamps. You don't want that tank coming off in the event of an accident or rollover. Click my name and see mp photographs.
Naturally, if you intend to take the sprayer on and off frequently...you will want to invent a system that is quick and convenient to both secure and remove the tank.

Does anybody have suggestions when you must remove the tank--yet secure if firmly?
The way I mounted the last two skid sprayers I had... I just drilled holes in the frame and used bolts with lock washers (through the frame of the skid and through the frame of the truck. Lesco 200 gallon space saver. I actually totalled the truck on the 4th of July in 2008 with the unit in it, half full of chemical. I was pulling a 16' landscape trailer with a Scag Tiger Cub in it along with my hand helds. Sprayer was mounted in the truck as described. Brand new 3/4 Dodge 4x4 Diesel quad cab. I had the cruise set at 65mph and some kids came from a dirt road and tried to jump the highway without stopping at their stop sign. I T-boned them. Totalled my pickup, air bags went off, totalled theirs too. The driver went to jail for being drunk and driving under suspension, etc. My sprayer never budged an inch So, I'm confident mounting another one the same way Thanks for the advice though. I prefer to use the stainless steel straps that go over the tank like you see on most commercial models. It's just a cleaner look in my opinion.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
2013 F-150
Echo Handhelds
Custom Built Sprayer

Old 10-14-2012, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookviewlawncare View Post
I can't find the straps on this website. I clicked on each menu and looked through each one.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
2013 F-150
Echo Handhelds
Custom Built Sprayer

Old 10-14-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I did not want to drill holes in the frame--for fear of weakening the frame. Rust and fertilizer corrosion is bad enough. I went around the frame member with the cable and clamped the loop.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try sprayer specialties there web site is sprayers.com
If they don't show up on the web site call them if they have tanks they have straps. They show them in the cataloge

Charles Cue
Old 10-14-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
Try sprayer specialties there web site is sprayers.com
If they don't show up on the web site call them if they have tanks they have straps. They show them in the cataloge

Charles Cue
Good advice. The last tank I bought was from Westheffer. I bought the stainless straps too. They were sold separately but chances are...if they have one, they have the other.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I did not want to drill holes in the frame--for fear of weakening the frame. Rust and fertilizer corrosion is bad enough. I went around the frame member with the cable and clamped the loop.
I understand. I had some holes in mine already from a 5th wheel hitch being in the bed prior to having the skid in it, so my situation was a little different. The truck I replaced the totalled Dodge with is a 2006 3/4 ton Ford Powerstroke. It's the truck I have now. I bought it used in 08 with 82,000 miles on it. It was owned by a ranch and got traded in. They had a gooseneck ball in the bed, some holes drilled in the frame, the big grill gaurd bumper replacements and all of that, so I'm kind of in the same position with this truck as I was with the other. You know, you can get a piece of steel or flat strap and slide it under your truck bed between the frame and the bed, drill through the bed and through the metal, then bolt it down. That'll beef up the bed metal from the bottom side without having to drill into your frame. Just an idea for you.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
2013 F-150
Echo Handhelds
Custom Built Sprayer

Old 10-15-2012, 04:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll do some checking and make some phone calls this week on the straps.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
2013 F-150
Echo Handhelds
Custom Built Sprayer