Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Just blame the lawn guy...

I got this call this morning I recently picked up this year. She has a husky, not sure what it is, gray puffy dog. Guessing weighs little under 90 lbs. Her back yard is gated and the driveway has split gates you can swing open. She uses bungy (sp) cords to prevent it from opening. She uses both to hold them closed. I only put one on as I got done with her backyard. I tied it in a way that you couldn't open easily. Her call this morning complains about me not using the other bungy cord to hold the gates closed. Apparently, the dog escaped from the yard and almost got hit by a vehicle. I know when I tied the gate up, you couldn't swing it open. The fence/gates aren't high, just stomach height. I only put the one on so I can get in easily, cut it and secure it.

This blame got me pretty pissed off this morning and in a bad mood. I didn't call her back. I know she doesn't use a leash when she leaves the dog in the backyard. I was going to simply leave her a message that it was not my responsiblilty that the dog got loose. She's convinced that 2 bungy cords work. But as I stated, I had the bungy cord tied in a way that the gates wouldn't open.

How do I handle this situation? What should I tell her?

Earlier this year, I had another dog owner call me up and complain about the weeds in her lawn. Apparently, one of her dogs got stung by a few bees. I called her back up and just told her that the lawn needs to be fertilized. As for a dog owner, they don't want to hear that and want you to cut so low that your cutting dirt.

Any feedback is appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Suck it, Al Gore.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tell her to lick the doggie do off your mower tires
Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Apologize and use both bungys. My bug guy used to always leave one of my gates open and all four of my dogs would get out. I let him know and he makes sure now that he closes them. I still check before I let the dogs out but problem solved. If he chose to catch an attitude I would have terminated my contract.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats so hard about putting it back the way it was? I grew up on a farm and was always taught to if a gates closed then close it after you go through it and latch or secure the same way it was done before you went through it.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Sponsor

Your customer is trying to see how broad your shoulders are. That aside if any of your customers have pets someone will get the blame, and in spite of your best intentions it was your turn. Very rarely have I ever know responsible and pet owner having much to do with one another. I would make an attempt to contact her and make sure her dog is ok and than see if anything else can be done to solve the gate issue, if there is one?
You not admitting any guilt just concern.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do what she wants, problem solved
Old 10-03-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Find a client that can afford to fix her gate properly. I wouldn't let myself be held responsible because she is a cheap skate.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

There's a reason there is 2 bungys used. Obviously the dog can slip through if there is only one. And always leave the property as you found it. Your price should reflect all responsibilities for the job. This case meaning use both bungys as it was found and you have zero problems. Regardless of how ghetto the system may be.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You do what the customer asks of you, that is what you do.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

If that's the case, i'll charge her for the extra time spent tieing up the other bungy. I spent 5 mins untieing them both just to get in the back yard last week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Suck it, Al Gore.