Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Spray tank fill strainer basket (custom made?)

I've used the Gregson Clark strainer bag that can hold a 50# bag of N as you melt it down for the spray tank. I'm noticing that my SOP has a decent amount of sand mixed with it from the mining process that the Gregson Clark bag cannot separate. This send ends up at the bottom of the spray tank and can clog the finer mesh strainer on the suction line.

Does anyone know of a tighter weave/mesh/metal strainer that can fit inside the spray tank so the SOP can be dumped into that and melted down leaving only the sand behind?

Thanks for any replies!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure this idea would fit your situation. Same problem. I my tank I had a plastic "filter basket" of about 8 inches in diameter that covered the tank outlet suction line. I used hot glue, silicone aquarium sealer and Gorilla Glue at various times...all of which are completely waterproof. Later I added a covering of fiberglass window screen. Of course, I had to crawl inside my 400 gal tank to do the work--but--if you arms are long. At the end of the year I had a sandy residue in the bottom of the tank, that I would clean out during the winter off-season.

On the other hand, drop by your irrigation dealer--he will likely have several types of filters that could act as pre filters in the suction line that you could install ahead of your fine filter. I used a 325 mesh fine filter --cleaned about twice per week.

Let us know how it works out. Or get a different supplier of SOP.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used a 5 gallon pail.
Drilled it full of very small holes in the bottom and sides.
The I put a burlap sack in it and dissolved my product that way.
It worked great.
I did also go to a local irrigation supplier and added a small filter with a 150 mesh screen. That was a great find too.