Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2012, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag V Ride demo!

I finally got a V Ride to demo. I was supposed to pick it up tomorrow morning but I called and picked it up this afternoon because I knew the blades were going to need to be sharpened before I could tell how good it cuts. It is a 52" with the 26hp Kawasaki engine. My first thought when I pulled up was this thing is beat and beat bad. Upon further looking it is just extremely dirty and I will be cleaning it up tomorrow morning before I go out to mow. Once I got home I unloaded and jacked it up and removed the blades. Deck was pretty full so I scrapped and got that all cleaned up. I had a set of Scag gator/mulching blades left from when I had my Pro V so I sharpened those up as well as the high lifts that were on the machine. I installed the gators and mowed a good section of my lawn. Those things are awesome on leaves there was nothing left of any of them. The mower seems to cut decent with those blades but left some stringers. This is typical with this type of blade I think. It laid some decent lines and dispersed clippings extremely well although grass was not that tall. After I mowed that section I pulled it back into the shop and installed the high lifts. I have yet to cut with it yet as by this time it was dark. I am going to be running it through it paces tomorrow as I have one small residential lawn to mow, one medium sized residential and one good size factory with some small areas as well as some areas that are wide open. I will post some pics and more info tomorrow when I am out and about. First impressions are I believe I am going to like this mower but still not sure if it is the one I am searching for.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mid day update on the progress of the scag. I started this morning on my large factory. Last week I timed myself on exactly how long it took me to mow. Total time with my 60" Kubota was 1.5 hours. This property is pretty wide open without to many things to go around. Well today I mowed and it took me 1.75 hours with the 52" V Ride. I even double cut some stuff to brighten up the lines this week vs last week was all single cut. Plus today I mowed some things that are quicker to mow straight I put a diagonal lines in them which take longer. So my thoughts half way through are the 61" V Ride is probably going to be quicker than my 60" Kubota. Cut quality is top notch with this Velocity Plus deck. I was mowing wet crabgrass and it always clumps with my Kubota and not even anything close to a clump today. I am very impressed so far with this machine. We will see how the rest of the day goes. I will post some pics tonight of a few lawns I cut and of the machine itself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How do the controls feel?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Test it on your steepest property before you commit...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Controls feel nice. Only thing I think I would change is putting some type of anti vibration wrap on the front metal part that you hang onto with the handles. It is just painted metal now and I think it would be nice to have something else other than metal there for it to be more comfortable. I do not due much hilly areas so that part of the machine isn't important to me as much as other abilities like curb climbing and good cut quality. I do have a few hills but my old Deere quik traks handled them fine so if they do about anything will because they would slip and slide on wet grass.
Posted via Mobile Device