Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-28-2012, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What should I be mindful of when switching accountants?

I'm thinking of switching accountants next year. The lady I have been using I've used for 8 years or so. She did ok when she was working from her home, but then she joined a larger group and her work has gone down hill, meaning she never seems to have time to answer my questions, she makes mistakes every year. For example last year she forgot to enter that I payed all of my quartlerly payments and I had to pay more as a result of her error. In years previous, there is always something she forgets and we have to end up paying in more than she said later. Also, I would like to be incorporated and will need help with that of course. What I wanted to ask is what things should I keep in mind when switching from someone I have been with for so long, given the fact that she has all of my records over so many years and the next person won't have a history with me?
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 10-28-2012, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I like the fact that your planning this now and not in tax season so this gives you the ability to meet with a few accountants with out the pressure to pick one immediately.

Ours makes some huge reports each year we have our depreciation tables and what seems like 100 pages of all sorts of facts and figures. If we were to leave ours we have every years reports and of course we have 10 years of quick books so anything were missing I am sure we could pull right up. That is how he does our taxes we do most of the work all the recites all the income all the payroll every penny is in quick books. When the year ends we have to wait till the last statements come in from banks and credit lines but then its just a matter of the data entry. Once that's all set we proof everything after all whose more likely to catch a mistake an owner or a stranger just doing the books at the end of the year. When it all checks out we head to meet the accountant we have some printed reports for us to talk about but all the info he wants is on a memory stick and he does all his work from that.

I tend to agree with you I wouldn't tolerate to many mistakes with this either before I said enough.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Pretty sure you can take all your records or have them forward to a new accountant. Any new one will review your pass taxes and might even file amended returns for you. Also what you could do is look for a bookkeeper who will do your yearly accounts ,then you hire a tax preparer to file your taxes. This what I do.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get on Quickbooks and find a QB pro-advisor CPA. Get one that is willing to help you do your accounting and you send the QB file to them for review. Over time you will get much more out of your accounting system than your accounting could ever do for you.