Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler Super Z - problems with model

Hi, just wanted to start a thread about Hustler SuperZ mowers. I recently bought one of these after having ten years in the industry... I have been extremely disappointed by the product - would definitely not recommend it for a quality product.
The main problems are:
extremely rough ride which makes the deck bounce like mad, in this case then the cut is not smooth as when the deck slams down it creates scalping and crop circles - not a good look when you are trying to provide professional lawn cutting. Have had the mechanics re-set the deck, replace forks, etc. Terrible ride - wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for something decent that will produce a quality job. Apparently this is not just my model either, this is just how all of them are. I plan to put up a video on youtube to get the word out there as I feel they are selling something that doesn't live up to the quality they are selling it at.

Second problem is that due to the forward and back jerking you are left with nausea and whiplash feelings even after a couple of hours use.
In turn, you can't use it for its fast speed as there is no way you would cope going over fairly smooth terrain with all the bouncing and jerking!

I have been to the ends of the earth in trying to get this problem resolved as I would have not thought spending quality money on a commercial mower like this to expect to be buy such junk.
I don't what other people out there think, but it certainly doesn't ride like a thoroughbred as it says in its adverts.
Stay clear - choose another brand over this one and you won't be disappointed!

Last edited by greenology; 10-04-2012 at 04:55 AM. Reason: privacy
Old 10-04-2012, 05:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Did you get my text msg? All I can suggest is slowing down. I know it defeats the purpose of a fast mower.

Maybe add some weight to the deck. Another thought is getting some shorter and or weaker springs. The deck itself if heavy as so it has to be spring tension issue.

You'll have to let me know how the discharge goes when the grass is thickens up and some damp. Im sure youve seen my posts and pics on here already.

I look forward to the vid.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Mickhippy, Yes i agree with regards to the spring tension, I told the dealer the springs had to be wrong but they maintain that they are the correct springs. If I end up having to keep the mower I will put some smaller springs on there for sure and that will likely help the problem a lot if not entirely. However at this point I cant continue using the mower until the rough jerkyness is dramitically improved, maybe my lawns are a lot worse than the normal however im comparing from other brand mowers i have owned and used in the past and have never experienced this.

With the grass clumping issue, my other zero turn a dixon, it had a similar issue whereby the grass flap was laying too low so the grass would hit the flap and be deflected straight onto the lawn in a trail, rather than dispersing out evenly. So I resorted to always having the flap lifted up, which isnt safe and made even more dusty than normal but had to do to get and even dispersion of clippings. I guess you have tried this already though? sorry havnt looked through your post as yet, was javing trouble registering yest, but managed to get signed up tonight. will have a look.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see your post now, the problem is with the deck flap as u suggest, so hopefully hustler will listen and redesign!

Maybe in the mean time you could try raising the flap just slightly, to prevent 100 % of the grass hitting the flap but still low enough so it doesnt become dangerous. I drilled a neat hole and put through a bolt with an eye hook on one end, with large washers to prevent tearing the flat from the hole. then hook a rubber or ocky strap through the eye hole and use this to raise it slightly, or a rope which owuldnt have any flex in it.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All this is interesting,I talked with a guy around 3 months ago who bought a new super 60 37 and he said the same thing. He claimed the new hydro system was way to touchy and the mower rode like a tank. Puppy say's his 72 is great with the flex forks.

I demoed one lightly today for 5 minutes and I noticed the demo had flex forks on it and that tells me maybe the new chasses is over built and needs some flex? My 72 XR7 model rides grest stock and I noticed today a stiffness about the mower chasses but with the flex forks it seemed ok but I did not like the bounce of the front end.

When you run at high speeds over rough ground a little flex in the chasses makes a machine much more compliant,just not a mower any machine.

So when I see a demo Super with flex forks that tells me they may be trying to hide a problem with the ride? the mower is built great but it may be over built.

Honda found this out in 1997 when they redesigned the CR 250 and made the chasses to stiff for moto X. World champion Jeremy Mcgrawth told Honda to stick it up the butt and he immediately signed with Suzuki because of it.

It is not your imagination at all,if a machine is to stiff when you are going at a good clip it will beat the crap out of you. 15 MPH is a good clip!

Maybe air tires in front?

I am real interested in this because I am interested in one,all dealers who sell these along with multiple other brands say it is on paper the best quality designed Z ever but they are not using them on a daily basis.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I agree that the chassis is stiffer than last design. Floor pan/footrest is further out by a few inches there by making the caster arms shorter. Seems that way anyway. I haven't measured it.
I bet it's a rough ride without the flex forks!

That said, I'm sure there are other machines out there with stiffer designs. Look at the Scags for example.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2012, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVfxG_sQdk
managed to take some footage of the roughness that I am describing... what do you think?
Old 10-07-2012, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siqDR...=ULsiqDRqunRWE
Old 10-07-2012, 03:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
All this is interesting,I talked with a guy around 3 months ago who bought a new super 60 37 and he said the same thing. He claimed the new hydro system was way to touchy and the mower rode like a tank. Puppy say's his 72 is great with the flex forks.

I demoed one lightly today for 5 minutes and I noticed the demo had flex forks on it and that tells me maybe the new chasses is over built and needs some flex? My 72 XR7 model rides grest stock and I noticed today a stiffness about the mower chasses but with the flex forks it seemed ok but I did not like the bounce of the front end.

When you run at high speeds over rough ground a little flex in the chasses makes a machine much more compliant,just not a mower any machine.

So when I see a demo Super with flex forks that tells me they may be trying to hide a problem with the ride? the mower is built great but it may be over built.

Honda found this out in 1997 when they redesigned the CR 250 and made the chasses to stiff for moto X. World champion Jeremy Mcgrawth told Honda to stick it up the butt and he immediately signed with Suzuki because of it.

It is not your imagination at all,if a machine is to stiff when you are going at a good clip it will beat the crap out of you. 15 MPH is a good clip!

Maybe air tires in front?

I am real interested in this because I am interested in one,all dealers who sell these along with multiple other brands say it is on paper the best quality designed Z ever but they are not using them on a daily basis.

This is reassuring to hear that there are some others, even if they are far and few between, who have felt the bad ride im getting.

Very good point, that these dealers arent using the mowers daily and yet they claim to know everything about how well they ride and cut and everything else. My opinion of the mower has been formed by mowing for 700hrs on zero turns, then getting on this super Z and cutting most of the same lawns i did those 700hrs on and all of a sudden am experiencing nausea which I have never had before from a zero turn. As well as a rough cut, high spots and scalping from the deck raising off the turf & banging back down.

Im not sure if they have ever claimed that this machine is capable of cutting grass well at 15mph but i have tried this on smooth lawns and its not a suitable cut, lots of glass blades and stringy weeds left behind.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://youtu.be/F8BoZSz888c
this is another clip of how constant the deck is at bouncing over small bumps...creating scalps.
Closed Thread