Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Sorry guys but the SZ is capable of mowing at full stick. Just need the right conditions, ie short dry grass and a smooth surface. That said, the grass I cut is pretty dense like bermuda so not really worried about vacuum etc.
It isn't a matter of suction/vacume mate. It is the fact that there simply aren't enough blade strikes per forward inch of travel to cut cleanly at that speed (much less than one side of the blade striking the grass, or less than one strike per forward inch of travel). I'm sure on some of that stuff you cut that is fairly stiff, it will do a fair to good job, but on many of the grass types we have here, especially in the northern half of this country, it simply won't leave the QOC that many of us need at that speed. There'd just be too many stragglers left behind.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Dont worry mate, this comment would of made it come through my nose!

Had a good laugh at the pair of you!
You have to have a little spice to keep it fun.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
I mowed at full stuck a couple times today but only because it was very smooth. Most of the time I'm at half or less.
Posted via Mobile Device
With the right chasses, suspension,power and proper cutting deck for your area you can mow at full stick 15 alot but all those factors have to be correct.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
It isn't a matter of suction/vacume mate. It is the fact that there simply aren't enough blade strikes per forward inch of travel to cut cleanly at that speed (much less than one side of the blade striking the grass, or less than one strike per forward inch of travel). I'm sure on some of that stuff you cut that is fairly stiff, it will do a fair to good job, but on many of the grass types we have here, especially in the northern half of this country, it simply won't leave the QOC that many of us need at that speed. There'd just be too many stragglers left behind.
Sorry bro but on my prop's, if the ground is smooth and grass is short and dry, I can certainly cut at full stick. I do it often and cant tell the difference between slow or fast. Again, thats on my grass types in optimum conditions.
I havent mowed northern grass's so cant really comment on that except that from my understanding, that type of grass is pretty limp. Thats why people have problems with it ie vacuum. I can certainly see the need to slow down on limp grass but cutting low is a different story.

Heres a vid, first of 3 or 4. Keep in mind, this is my place so not much care was taken and I wasnt going to publish these. Ground was soft, wet and hadnt been mowed in probably over 4 weeks. Practically all my properties were like this or worse at the time. I put photos up if you remember back.
Anyway... http://youtu.be/bRuEiQV23MU
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nothing special about this one... http://youtu.be/rFuCxbEp-aQ
Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlermidwest View Post
I just came across your talks and I hope you don't mind I jump in. I saw the video of the jumping around you are having. I see the flex forks working as well as they can to keep up with the washboard type lawn. Yes the machine goes in excess of 15MPH but that is just for transport only. It is meant to go from point "A" to point "B" at 15MPH to cut down on transporting it to each job, not mow at that speed. With the limitations on blade tip speed no mower can mow that fast. What is your rear tire pressure at? 14lbs will really get you a hard ride. You can go down as low as 8lbs but me mindful of slopes and curbs. The flex forks are shown at dealers with the same thought of car dealers. When you go test drive a new car is it the stripped down version or does it have the options available being shown. I also noticed your arms are not on the armrests. Lower your hands down on the steering arms and that will allow you to use the arm rest, this will help with the jerking forward and backward. Think of the deck springs as a counter weight for the deck. The closer you bring the two set nuts together the lighter the deck becomes, the further you spread them the heavier it becomes. Any chance of seeing a side by side with another mower video?

Brian O
Hi Brian, thanks for your input. If i could say just one thing, I wish you would go back and re-read my posts. I have talked about all the issues you mention. I dont see the point in repeating myself...
Old 10-09-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another full stick run!! Put one more tick on the "you can cut full stick" side. I'll say it till I'm blue You Can Cut Full Stick, I Cut Full Stick Every Week I've been cutting with SZs for the last 12 years and no you can't do it on every property, with every grass type but IMO I have some of the tougher grass types to cut. Can't be too rough, too steep, too thick, or too wet but when the conditions are right these machines save cut fast with a good cut. If your one to argue it you need to spend some time on a SZ. But be careful you may buy one.

I also think the weight debate is off base. When your talking crazy weight like tanks,yahts in rough waters, and the like, there is so much weight it starts to effect the surface it's riding on too the point the surface starts taking up movement or motion. A six wheel drive army truck weighs more than a Honda Civic but the Civic will ride better. IMO most of it comes down to absorption, weather that is the surface it's running on, tires, FF, springs and shocks, etc. You can make a Semi and a 15 pound mountain bike ride well given the right absorption.

Wheel base length on the other hand IMO is a factor as a long with how the machine is balanced. Hang the engine too far out the back and the front gets light but you'll be able to nose down a hill better.

I still think the distance between his ruts, rear tire psi, and possibly his deck springs are the root of his problem. The seat of my pants tells me my Kendas on the rear of my 460 ride worse than the Carlisles on my SZ at the same psi. My XR7 deck is so bloody heavy my wife can barley lift it and that's with 2" of adjustment at the front adjustment rods instead of the 1" they recommend.

Brian O can you verify if the springs on a vx4 are beefier providing more lift than earlier versions?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've never said you can't ever mow at full sticks, You can, but the conditions need to be right. For Mick, it's short and dry with the stiff turf he has. For you, you just laid out a bunch of conditions in your post for it.

I have said, and will stand by it too, that you can't do it for every day, anywhere mowing. The math doesn't lie. Unless conditions are ideal or as close as we'll ever see on this planet, there's going to be missed grass/stringers.

I've mowed at full sticks on my mower when the conditions allowed, and while it may not be 15 mph, it is supposed to be 12 mph and the QOC is nowhere near as good as it is at around 6-8 mph due to many more blade strikes per inch at the lower speed. It may have looke dalright to anyone else, but I can clearly see the difference between the two speeds.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I still think the distance between his ruts, rear tire psi, and possibly his deck springs are the root of his problem. The seat of my pants tells me my Kendas on the rear of my 460 ride worse than the Carlisles on my SZ at the same psi. My XR7 deck is so bloody heavy my wife can barley lift it and that's with 2" of adjustment at the front adjustment rods instead of the 1" they recommend.

Gday, I have rulled out the idea that it is the distance between the ruts, I rule this out when I say the issue is there on all the properties I have tried it on so far, the only time it is a good ride is when there are no bumps. the reality is there are always bumps, i dont have the luxury of cutting golf courses all day, but I must say the majority of my jobs are on million dollar, some multi million dollar properties in rural sydney, so they arent paddocks they are decent lawns which I had a very comfortable ride on other zero turns cutting them.

Tyre pressure I havnt completely ruled out yet as I need a good low pressure gauge, but I can say I have let out a lot of pressure (not in those videos) but before I gave it to the dealer i had the tyres down to what Im sure is low & it made no noticable difference, im sure there is a difference but i couldnt feel it. But as I say I havnt confirmed i had 8 PSI I will do that soon, the very next step i am taking is putting on standard non-flex forks tomorrow morning and will be trying it out on a couple lawns. As I rode a toro yesturday very similar in size and weight to the hustler, it was like getting in a car with suspension in comparison to the SZ, it had standard forks so I woudl like to try standard forks on SZ before changing anything else.

The dealer has now got the weight kit and some new tyres to put on, the weight kit is the one designed for using a catcher on SZ, so there is a considerable amount of weight. I dont liek this idea much as noone else needs to use it, if it rectifies the problem then it will be worthwhile i suppose. I will take it in next week for those to be fitted.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Nothing special about this one... http://youtu.be/rFuCxbEp-aQ
Ive had a brief look through yours vids, you dont happen to have any footage of you side on driving over ruts or bumps do you? I couldnt see any. the only thing I have seen so far is your head bopping up and down, cant see any jerking.
Closed Thread