Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Ive had a brief look through yours vids, you dont happen to have any footage of you side on driving over ruts or bumps do you? I couldnt see any. the only thing I have seen so far is your head bopping up and down, cant see any jerking.
Not really mate, I have a few more to go though.

Have to watch them in 720p or they look cr@p!
Have another look at http://youtu.be/bRuEiQV23MU . Im going very slowly and the rut not bad at all but keep clicking around the 8.43 mark. You can easily see my knee and leg taking up the shock. My head barely moves. I notice I do move the sticks a little but machine doesnt jerk. Its not a great example but still...
Old 10-10-2012, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Not really mate, I have a few more to go though.

Have to watch them in 720p or they look cr@p!
Have another look at http://youtu.be/bRuEiQV23MU . Im going very slowly and the rut not bad at all but keep clicking around the 8.43 mark. You can easily see my knee and leg taking up the shock. My head barely moves. I notice I do move the sticks a little but machine doesnt jerk. Its not a great example but still...
hmm yes i can see the jerking. Im getting that all the time, even with your feet your head still jerks a little and as u say its a minor rut. Thats something I have yet to feel on any other machine. In my case its really un acceptable, I must have rough lawns compared with everyone else. Anyway haent given up yet, still a few things to try.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Next one.....http://youtu.be/4JSqpfZQJmY
Old 10-10-2012, 03:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Your lawns seem to get a lot of growth between cuts, do your clients try stretch out the cuts as far as they can? I try not to have most lawns any longer than 2 weeks, a few are weekly. Id hate to be spending $200 + per week just to have my lawns cut but in some cases its the only way.

i guess being in qld you have more rain than us down here?

Im still running with the mulch kit atm, but within a month or so we will start getting too much growth for me to continue mulching. I dont find the blades work as efficiently with mulching, i get straglers left behind (weeds & tall grasses) , unless cutting a nice lush thick grass, in which case the cut quality is very good.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Your lawns seem to get a lot of growth between cuts, do your clients try stretch out the cuts as far as they can? I try not to have most lawns any longer than 2 weeks, a few are weekly. Id hate to be spending $200 + per week just to have my lawns cut but in some cases its the only way.

i guess being in qld you have more rain than us down here?

Im still running with the mulch kit atm, but within a month or so we will start getting too much growth for me to continue mulching. I dont find the blades work as efficiently with mulching, i get straglers left behind (weeds & tall grasses) , unless cutting a nice lush thick grass, in which case the cut quality is very good.
Mine are weekly or fortnightly, generally! Had heaps of rain this year, place was soaked. Some, like my place in the vid, didnt get done for 4,5 and 6 weeks! Just couldnt get on them!

I'll be interested to see how you go when you take the mulch kit off and discharge. If youve read my posts you'll see the problems Ive had with it. Not the long stuff like in these vids but just normal dry grass. Been doing my head in. I hope you have better luck!
That said, the actual cut is great, no stringers, only the occasional long (12"+) stemmy weed in thin areas.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Greenology,

So you somehow think switching to rigid forks and flat free caster tires is going to help? Personally I wouldn't waste the energy. But then, maybe they are what's giving you the whiplash?

If you do go rigid, you'd need to get air filled front tires. Set them at 8psi and your golden!

A front weight kit is going to make pointing down a hill a dangerous situation. If anything, you should add a little weight to the back as you removed the ROPS I believe. However heavy that is, may be affecting things? On my demos , I had to leave it on and folded. If I bought one it would be removed. I remember the ROPS on my old JD was over 100 lbs!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2012, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

try some air fronts, in my opinion these mowers need flex forks.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Another full stick run!! Put one more tick on the "you can cut full stick" side. I'll say it till I'm blue You Can Cut Full Stick, I Cut Full Stick Every Week I've been cutting with SZs for the last 12 years and no you can't do it on every property, with every grass type but IMO I have some of the tougher grass types to cut. Can't be too rough, too steep, too thick, or too wet but when the conditions are right these machines save cut fast with a good cut. If your one to argue it you need to spend some time on a SZ. But be careful you may buy one.

I think that pretty well answers the question, that yes you can mow at full stick with a Hustler Super Z mower and leave no grass standing, and if there was a problem with blade strikes this would theoretically be impossible.

The top speed on a Super Z is not for transport, but for mowing in good conditions, and if anyone has a problem believing this, call Hustler and they will answer your questions 620-327-4911.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post

The top speed on a Super Z is not for transport, but for mowing in good conditions, and if anyone has a problem believing this, call Hustler and they will answer your questions 620-327-4911.
Puppy did you miss that this all started when the HUSTLER rep said it was just for transport, not cutting?

I, and all you other guys know that in proper conditions you CAN mow at full SuperZ speed. With today's new deck and more power then was ever dreamed back in 2005, they most certainly can!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Puppy did you miss that this all started when the HUSTLER rep said it was just for transport, not cutting?

I, and all you other guys know that in proper conditions you CAN mow at full SuperZ speed. With today's new deck and more power then was ever dreamed back in 2005, they most certainly can!
That is what I have been saying. Rarely do most of us have the proper conditions though.

Puppy- just do the math sir. It isn't that hard to do, and it tells you that the strikes per inch of forwards travel are far too low for clean cutting at full speed under anything less than ideal conditions, especially on limp type grass.
Closed Thread