Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just so we are clear on what cut quality at ground level should look like see post #184 in this thread...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...factor&page=19
Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I knew exactly why you posted it Mick. You told the OP you were going to do so yesterday. I was paying attention.
Sweet! Why cant we all just get along?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I think you said this:

I have shown you that this is not true, if what you stated here was fact, you would see uncut grass standing in this picture, yet you do not.

I've never once said you can cut in all conditions at these fast speeds, but I have stated you can cut the southern stiffer blade grasses at the fast speeds. I actually cut some new volunteer rye-grass Saturday, and yes it is very limp and wispy, the kind of grass people use to over-seed here in the south to keep green lawns through the winter. If I had attempted to cut this grass at the faster speed; it would have looked as if half of it was missed, it blows around underneath the deck, meaning some is actually pushed down and away from the cutting edge of the blades. This is the type texture grass you deal with, and no, you could not use fast mowing speeds. The best cut in these type grasses will come from an Exmark with a Ultra Cut deck at around 8 mph or less. This is a totally different cutting scenario, I know what you deal with, but you have no idea of how the dryer stiff blade grasses we deal with in the south cut.

The real green grass growing beside the soybeans is volunteer rye-grass, and you can tell by looking at it the blades are very limp and wispy, making it move around underneath a deck a great deal, sometimes to the point of getting away from the blades. You can hardly cut this slow enough.

Nope. This is lifted directly from post #11 in your thread Super Z productivity-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green
I guess it is just one of those things you have to see to believe because the numbers say there should be stragglers like carzy at that speed, but you are right that type of grass at least makes some what of a difference.
When the 72" deck passed over this grass it was cutting at full speed, do you see any stragglers or uncut grass, and you are getting a very close look?

Your picture above was located here

I am not the one who keeps cheap shotting the other guy here. You are. I have not done that one time to you, but you certainly have, and anyone who has been reading this can see that. I wanted to let this drop since it is pointless it seems, and I don't know why you want to keep agitating when it appears that we are saying something similar, and I have already said that on this site somewhere too. Limp northern grass- no way. Stiff southern grass, under ideal conditions.

BTW, I do know a little about southern grasses. I used to live in Orlando for several years.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 10-15-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Sweet! Why cant we all just get along?
I can if you give me 3.5 million (like they did with Rodney King in LA several years ago after he received the arse beating he deserved for punching a cop in the face)
Old 10-15-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Nope. This is lifted directly from post #11 in your thread Super Z productivity-

When the 72" deck passed over this grass it was cutting at full speed, do you see any stragglers or uncut grass, and you are getting a very close look?

Your picture above was located here

I am not the one who keeps cheap shotting the other guy here. You are. I have not done that one time to you, but you certainly have, and anyone who has been reading this can see that. I wanted to let this drop since it is pointless it seems, and I don't know why you want to keep agitating when it appears that we are saying something similar, and I have already said that on this site somewhere too. Limp northern grass- no way. Stiff southern grass, under ideal conditions.

BTW, I do know a little about southern grasses. I used to live in Orlando for several years.

Ok, I'm going to take a shower, I'll throw you something a little different tomorrow in an attempt to get another bite.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Ok, I'm going to take a shower, I'll throw you something a little different tomorrow in an attempt to get another bite.
Throw away, I've got my glove all oiled and ready to go.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dont see the point in discussing the issue itself anymore, seems im the only one who has the issue & as much as I wish I didnt have an issue, I do.

I havnt got time for taking videos and any more in depth discussions. Im really busy this time of yr, I just dont have time.

I have put the rigid forks on this afternoon, lowered the rear tyres to 8 psi. Will be cutting with it the next 3 days, if I find no serious neck jerking etc than I may well be happy ( so far 3 lawns cut with rigid forks, no real complaints with jerking ). Then I will buy some smaller springs for the deck in the hope of preventing the deck lifting problem.

That deck lifting your getting in your video Mick, i get that often on most of my lawns at LOW speeds, 5-6 kph!! Not acceptable for the quality of cut my clients are after.

If I get any more jerking of the neck with these rigid forks, then fair trading will be my next step.

Mick, there is no point trying to demonstrate a way of riding the mower (like going over whoops with a motorbike) Ive spent yrs on motorcross bikes, trail bikes, bmx bikes, so if there was ANY WAY whatsoever of avoiding this jerking I would be avoiding it. Even the NSW Rep was getting this same jerking ( I could see it ), he blamed my lawn (5 mins jerking is fine, try 5 hrs each day!). Well im sorry but my ******* lawns have undulations in them, so if the super z is no good for undulations, then they should bloody advertise that so ppl are not misled & can make an informed decision.

Its got nothing to do with a drought, Ive been through worse than this little dry spell we're having. Besides as i have mentioned, while the super z was in for servicing, I took my previous zero turn out to cut these lawns, it was like sitting on a massage chair that bumps up and down, so relaxing!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post

I have put the rigid forks on this afternoon, lowered the rear tyres to 8 psi. Will be cutting with it the next 3 days, if I find no serious neck jerking etc than I may well be happy ( so far 3 lawns cut with rigid forks, no real complaints with jerking ).
So, you haven't tried 8psi in the rears yet?
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 2-FOR SALE!
Solo since 1980
Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Moderator, Online Communities

ok, I think we can put this one to rest now...some great discussion and input on this issue, but I believe it has run its course

thanks all