Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Had bad service with Echo... Have not used Stihl so can't comment... So I'd choose Shihl...
Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

stihl

love stihl never let me down no need to try anything else
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
5 year warranty is not for commercial though is it?
You're right. My bad, didn't remember that part. 2 years for commercial.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
neither.

go with husqvarna.

same thing with ford and chevy.

don't decide between 2 pieces of crap.

buy a toyota.

I wanna see you pull a 7x20 with a bobcat and attachments with your TOY ota, you better get a REAL truck!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderhoff Landscaping View Post
I have an Exho trimmer but the nearest dealer is like 20 miles from me. I want to get a Stihl and that dealer is literally a 5 minute drive from where I live. Ill use the Echo as a back up. Speaking of which, will those speed feed heads that you can get for Echo trimmers fit on the Stihl? Or is there a different one available for it?
Posted via Mobile Device
i took my stihl 90r to my mechanic to get the speed feeds put on and he told me he tried it before and spent 3 hours trying to put them on. he ended up throwing the heads in the trash...

Now im trying to figure out if i should stick with my crappy bump heads...or switch trimmer brands to an echo or redmax

http://www.facebook.com/sticklelm

follow
http://www.twitter.com/sticklelm

visit
http://www.sticklelm.com

"Landscapes that stick out."
Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I used an echo SRM-225 last year, first one the trigger broke, took it back, the second barely made the season, carb problems. Which is a total shame because the thing was light and held its own as a trimmer, until it didn't. I'd stay away.

Haven't liked the Stihls I've used as much, they've always seemed heavier but that might just be me. Had to replace a carb on my hedgetrimmers this year, and they've been used no more than two seasons. I've got a few stihl handhelds and I'm not so much a fan.

Just purchased a Dolmar 330 C and it seems like a solid machine but only time will tell. The only brand string trimmer I've ever been impressed with after tons of use and abuse is Shindaiwa, but I hear they're being made by Echo now. Go figure. Husqvarna might be a good brand to look into. Love their saws! Whatever you get, have a backup!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've used Echo since I was eight years old when I would trim and edge with the Echo my father bought for our yard, 300' of sidewalk. That machine lasted 14 seasons running strong with a tune-up every other season, after the 14th season I had it tuned up by a local shop and they screwed up the carb and it never worked the same. I sold it for $90 and I went out and bought and Echo SRM-230 trimmer and I used a Husqvarna 130BT blower for my first season. After talking a few times with my new local dealer we decided that I am going to switch of to Shindaiwa.

I will be buying the Shindaiwa EB633RT blower and the T254 trimmer at the Mower Expo they have every Spring. This years expo will be the first week of March so I will put up a review at the end of March.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 02-22-2013, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I wanna see you pull a 7x20 with a bobcat and attachments with your TOY ota, you better get a REAL truck!
i don't need to. i'm solo. all i have to pull is 1 ztr on a 5x10 trailer. everything else fits in the bed of the truck. no need for a bigger truck that drinks more gas. if i did need a bigger truck i'd get a tundra though. it pulled the space shuttle.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i don't need to. i'm solo. all i have to pull is 1 ztr on a 5x10 trailer. everything else fits in the bed of the truck. no need for a bigger truck that drinks more gas. if i did need a bigger truck i'd get a tundra though. it pulled the space shuttle.
Yea and it got up to a whole 2 MPH! LOL
Old 02-22-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

nothing pulls a space shuttle any faster. they always go slow.

chevy, ford, and dodge are ok if you are buying a diesel since toyota doesn't sale diesel trucks in the usa.

as far as gas powered it's not even close. the toyota will last twice as long without breaking down.

i'm not just talking out of my butt. i know from experience. i had a friend that had a chevy s-10 back in the day and i had a toyota 4x4 truck which is called the tacoma now. once he got to 100k miles his truck kept breaking down. he'd get it fixed and something else would break. so on and so on. it didn't last 150k miles. my truck on the other hand ran perfectly when i sold it with 300k miles on it. the proof is in the pudding.

my first car was a camaro. i bought it used with 100k miles on it. the engine blew up in 6 months. after that i'll never buy a chevy again.

bought my toyota with 100k and drove it for 200k more with zero problems. it doesn't take a genius to see which one is better.

Last edited by weeze; 02-22-2013 at 12:05 PM.