Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2011, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

HHS100 Spyker Hand Held Spreader

Has anyone tried this hand spreader? The Scoots hand spreader was good until about three years ago and now the new gearboxes are junk. Earthway has good push spreaders but the hand helds have junk gearboxes. Earthway is supposed to be working on a better hand spreader after I prodded them but it's a deathly slow process.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-11-2011, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Has anyone tried this hand spreader? The Scoots hand spreader was good until about three years ago and now the new gearboxes are junk. Earthway has good push spreaders but the hand helds have junk gearboxes. Earthway is supposed to be working on a better hand spreader after I prodded them but it's a deathly slow process.
I haven't but I am going to now that you have brought it to my attention. What have I got to lose?? I have spent $120 so far this season on handheld spreaders. All of them have been Scotts and Earthways and every one of them have been just as you described...JUNK. They are very necessary for me to do my job properly and it is irritating to no end to get a month out of one...if that. The model you listed is only $5 more than the Scotts. I will order a couple and see how they work. Thanks for posting. I was unaware that they were out there.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly, Ted. Why can't someone come up with something worthwhile?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2011, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If everyone who reads this thread goes to http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...+help+spreader and posts some feedback Earthway will get it. Earthway was starting to talk as though they would listen to my desire for a decent hand spreader but it sounded like the 2011 R&D budget ran dry. I'm really hoping that in 2012 they will make something happen. In 2012 the patent expires on Scotts loop support and others can make their own version of the support.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 01-21-2012, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
In the process of purchasing parts for winter maintenance for equipment, I purchased 2 of these Spyker handhelds. Bishop Co. was the only online supplier I could find. They appear to be of better quality than what I see on shelves in stores. They claim they are "professional quality". Time will tell...I'll give my opinion when I get the opportunity to put them through a few days work.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
In the process of purchasing parts for winter maintenance for equipment, I purchased 2 of these Spyker handhelds. Bishop Co. was the only online supplier I could find. They appear to be of better quality than what I see on shelves in stores. They claim they are "professional quality". Time will tell...I'll give my opinion when I get the opportunity to put them through a few days work.
If you can fill it upall the way with a heavy material like fertilizer and turn the handle without the gears stripping and skipping then it's already pass's the first test that others fail. Some of the inert carrier material used by some insecticides is nothing more then crushed rock and will really put the spreader to the test.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ted, let us know how it works. I am a bit skeptical it is any better. Looks like the same plastic gears? And I do like the forearm support on the scotts to help support weight, which this does not have. I actually have the beast of all ornamental spreaders, the vortex system I had installed on a lesco spreader is absolutely awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This year the patent runs out on Scotts ergonomic arm support and others can come up with their own version. I suspect Earthway is stalling on coming out with a new hand spreader until the patent runs out.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have my doubts whether this Spyker will be better. It does seem more solid. It will do much better at scooping fert out of my Jr 36 hopper than the Scotts or the Earthway for sure. I liked the arm support on the Scotts spreader also and the patent issue may be why Earthway has been slow to come out with a new model. However, it would take more improvement than just an arm support for me to consider buying another earthway handheld. Theirs always "crapped out" on me quicker than the Scotts version. Bottom line is, a superior gear system is needed for any model to stand up to professional use.
I will give you guys my honest opinion on the Spyker model as soon as I give it some use.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We bought one early last summer as our Scott's handheld gave out. So far no problem.