Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2012, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

seeding directly into crabgrass

I seeded 2 by 2 foot squares with Pennington Sun and Shade seed, 64 percent rye. Sept 6th. I sowed one ounce of seed, 3 ounces of seed, and one ounce after aerating. The area was heavily infested with crabgrass, but not totally bad because of recent light rains. There was no irrigation nor soil preparation.
It turned out to be near a bus stop and kids damaged a couple of my markers.

It is difficult to determine the percentage of seed success, but some seed arose in all of the treatments. Top picture had 1 ounce of seed. Bottom picture had 3 ounces of seed. The new grass has a thin blade and is lighter green. The treatment with triple seed seemed to look slightly better. More results later. Temps have been about 65 days and 50 nights. Very light rain in last few days.

No photo for the area that was aerated first--sorry--seed was also arising in this area.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just did the same thing at a friends house. I felt the window of opportunity to spray the yard then wait to seed it was closed. So since it was a friend I suggested we just lay down some seed and fert and see what happens, no big deal if it fails. I used Winning Colors TTF (Monet,Rembrandt,DaVinci, Van Gogh) 30lbs and Trifecta Rye 30 lbs. This yard was bad being that it was a foreclosure that sat for a year unattended. Will try and get some pics as it progresses,
Steve
PS This was done on SEPT 30

Last edited by xtreem3d; 10-04-2012 at 05:59 PM.