Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2012, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Grasshopper throttle problem

Noticed last couple of weeks it seemed to be losing power, changed plugs, gas, air filter etc, happen again today and then noticed the throttle itself had slide back, pushed it forward and ran like a charm. I might mow 2-3 minutes and it will do it again
have to push throttle forward again. Looked at it and can't find a way to tighten it, would appreciate it if anyone has an idea.
Thanks
Old 10-15-2012, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If the throttle lever pivot point is a rivet, remove the assembly. With a couple of hammers, one held solidly against one side of the rivet(pivot point), peen the opposite side with the other hammer. Lube the pivot point and you should be good to go.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good tip Dutch...had to do it a bunch of times...
Those chinese throttle assy's aren't half as good as the old ones from taiwan...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Slapper, I've done it many times as well and on occasion, repeat offenders--commercially used units. Saved the guys some $$ on parts as well as labor.

Also have used the process to take the "sloppies" out of some well used pliers that don't use a through bolt and nut.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Found the solution after looking around, had to take the fender off and was able to tighten the nut on the bolt. The model is 727K with the out front deck. Thanks to all who made a suggestion.

I assumed wrong as usual, that when I first tried to tighten the bolt and it just kept spinning and could not see where or what it was attached to that it was a weld on nut, turned out to be just a nut but you have to remove fender to tighten it. Hope this help someone in the future.

Last edited by yellbird; 10-16-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I thought you might find that to be the case--I had an 87 GH that had the nut/bolt retainer on the throttle control pivot but since you were initially unable to find a way to tighten it, I presumed it had the rivet type connection. My guess is that the 727 is an early 2000's model so I thought it was possible that they may have changed vendors for their throttle cable assemblies. At least you have solved the problem.