Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I Am a Germinating Seed

As a recently planted grass seed in reasonably pleasant well drained soil with adequate water retention properties, this is what happened to me...

I had been irrigated daily for 2 weeks and even though many of my fellows had already germinated and were inches tall,,, I was still not yet ready to pop,,, but then the day came... I could feel it!!! germination was gonna happen with in hours, maybe a day, but it was going to happen for sure...
Then I noticed that the ground was starting to dry out all ready... in fact with the wind and the sun by noon tomorrow, I'll be sitting in a dust bowl...

Sure enough the dustbowl came and of course my radicle emerged at 10:45 am, to find no food and no wate,,,r so I packed up and died...

So the question is:
Does the seed go ahead and germinate when conditions of dryness occur or does the seed require a certain amount of moisture to even complete the process of germination???
Old 10-05-2012, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Member

There are mechanisms built into the seed giving it a rate of dormancy. Once the seed has soaked in ample moisture there is likely ample moisture in the surrounding environment ensuring a good start after emergence.

However, if conditions come together just right you could see emergence and dessication with dry hot weather. The species rains seed at different times, so there is a stair step process and other seeds cast earlier or later will pick up where the other ones left off....IMO
Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was hoping for an answer from a textbook on Botany... I remember what I was taught a couple hundred years ago, but was interestted how it was described today...