Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-25-2015, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Lawn roller

Will a John Deere z930a pull a lawn roller that measures 24x60, I think the weight is around 1750 lbs but unsure. Worried about damage to the drives. Owners book says not to pull anything heavier than the mower itself which is around 1400? Lbs Thanks
Old 04-25-2015, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Deere 05 View Post
Will a John Deere z930a pull a lawn roller that measures 24x60, I think the weight is around 1750 lbs but unsure. Worried about damage to the drives. Owners book says not to pull anything heavier than the mower itself which is around 1400? Lbs Thanks
It will pull it, for awhile, then your pumps will probably blow up. That roller sounds like it needs a true tractor pulling it.
Academia has a real problem getting funding if they do not do a good job of towing the gov't line... We have to believe what the gov't wants us to believe whether it makes any sense or not... No till is one of those issues which will do more to destroy good farm land than it will increase production - Smallaxe

On a side note, NO developer is your friend!!
Old 04-25-2015, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Zero turns are not made to be towing. I wouldn't tow anything with a hydrostatic mower. Gear drive for implements is the way to go.

GMC
John Deere
Wright
Toro
Echo
Old 04-25-2015, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio Lawn Care View Post
Zero turns are not made to be towing. I wouldn't tow anything with a hydrostatic mower. Gear drive for implements is the way to go.
That's not 100% true. Here's a link from Toro's Homeowner page. Commercial Z pumps and wheel motors are much stronger.

http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/...rsatility.html

The JDeere manual says not to exceed the weight of the mower, not don't use it for pulling.
Academia has a real problem getting funding if they do not do a good job of towing the gov't line... We have to believe what the gov't wants us to believe whether it makes any sense or not... No till is one of those issues which will do more to destroy good farm land than it will increase production - Smallaxe

Old 04-25-2015, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The hydro drive on the ZTR is much more powerful than you think, enough to bend steel easily and reliably.

remember, skid steers are hydraulic and they don't need gears to work or pull implements.

also remember, you aren't towing the full weight of the roller, that weight is on the ground. The roller, well rolls so it's like a wheel.
you're not going to dead haul 1700 lbs.

however, going up hill with it could produce problems.

Im assuming however, this isn't something you are going to pull on regular basis.
So it shouldn't cause problems.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
The hydro drive on the ZTR is much more powerful than you think, enough to bend steel easily and reliably.

remember, skid steers are hydraulic and they don't need gears to work or pull implements.

also remember, you aren't towing the full weight of the roller, that weight is on the ground. The roller, well rolls so it's like a wheel.
you're not going to dead haul 1700 lbs.

however, going up hill with it could produce problems.

Im assuming however, this isn't something you are going to pull on regular basis.
So it shouldn't cause problems.
So when you are towing a 3000 lb trailer, you aren't really pulling 3000lb because it is on wheels? I see where you are getting at but towing implies pulling something on wheels. Obviously you are not going to pull an implement behind a ztr which would cause resistance with the ground. Skid steers also have hydro pumps which are MUCH bigger than Ztr's

GMC
John Deere
Wright
Toro
Echo
Old 04-26-2015, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Borrow your buddies mower to pull it.

Get a riding roller. You will be happy you did, I am
Old 04-27-2015, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The engineers at John Deere have figured out what the limits are for this particular machine. The guidelines are in the manual. If you exceed the limit, you risk blowing the pumps or wheel motors. My advice would be to follow the advice given by John Deere. They made it and know it's limitations. To do anything else is to invite calamity into you life.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio Lawn Care View Post
So when you are towing a 3000 lb trailer, you aren't really pulling 3000lb because it is on wheels? I see where you are getting at but towing implies pulling something on wheels. Obviously you are not going to pull an implement behind a ztr which would cause resistance with the ground. Skid steers also have hydro pumps which are MUCH bigger than Ztr's
Drag mats have no wheels. Many implements offer plenty of resistance with the ground. That's why there are horsepower ratings on implements. This ______ requires a 35hp or greater tractor, etc.. To exceed the manufacturers set limits is to risk damaging the tractor, either immediately or long term with a shortened service life.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A couple points to clear up here,

On page 15 of the Z900A series operators manual there is a general statement about towing that is used in all their manuals- GT, SCUT and CUT. It shouldn't be there because it does NOT apply to their ZTR's.
JD has advertised these models ever since they came out as able and rated to tow 400 lbs in their brochures and on their website.

I have a heavy duty 48" version of lawn roller and it is rated at 950 LBS fully loaded. My BIL has the 60" version. It is rated at 1150 lbs fully loaded. A hydrostatic garden tractor will tow either with ease, but I would not tow mine with my ZTR no matter if it will move it OK or not. To be fair, they are not as hard to move as one might think. I can move mine around fully loaded fairly easily on level ground by hand, but I sure wouldn't want to try to hold it back on a downhill, nor pull it up a slope. The cumulative affect on the trans's in a ZTR on even flat ground however, would be detrimental to their longevity.