Register free!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Costumer contract

Hey guys, I ran across a couple of odd things today that I want to get your thoughts on.

I got an email yesterday from a prospective client that was pretty straight forward and normal.

Today I get him on the phone, ask the usual questions one of which is about previous service providers. Then a big red flag goes waving by as he tells me his current guys have yet to make any contact with him regarding this season. He's been happy with their service but it seems they have disapeared on him.

Then he starts going on about references and insurance and experience. Which I think is great, I wish more people would do that. But on the flip side I rarely get asked for references or insurance.

Then he drops the contract bomb, he goes on to say he has his own contract that he wants me to sign.

I do plan on meeting with him tomorrow regardless of the flags but am curious on what you think of the situation.

By the way this is a residential property.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2012, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds too hard to do business with. If it were me I'd pass. Wants you to sign his own contract,,,, that's a good one.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This probably explains why his old guys cancelled him.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One of the reasons your company does not show up in spring--is that you did not pay them in the fall.
Perhaps if he would email you the contract--then you could look it over--and think about it. Tell him you need to discuss it with your business partner. And get back to him. Ask around about this guy's reputation.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just say no thank you ,politely
Old 04-19-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Love to see a copy of contract
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A contract is placed to protect you while in business.
A customer has a contract to protect them from unfortunate misleading invoices and overcharges.

I would definitely decline because the contract will only benefit the customer and probably will not be in your favor.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenery View Post
Hey guys, I ran across a couple of odd things today that I want to get your thoughts on.

I got an email yesterday from a prospective client that was pretty straight forward and normal.

Today I get him on the phone, ask the usual questions one of which is about previous service providers. Then a big red flag goes waving by as he tells me his current guys have yet to make any contact with him regarding this season. He's been happy with their service but it seems they have disapeared on him.

Then he starts going on about references and insurance and experience. Which I think is great, I wish more people would do that. But on the flip side I rarely get asked for references or insurance.
Then he drops the contract bomb, he goes on to say he has his own contract that he wants me to sign.

I do plan on meeting with him tomorrow regardless of the flags but am curious on what you think of the situation.

By the way this is a residential property.
Posted via Mobile Device
Perhaps he has a sence of humor? Call him in the morning and just cancel the appointment, if he ask why let him know you work for yourself and only use your own contract.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't do anything without them signing mine, I blame it on insurance regs and state pesticide bureau red tape in case we get audited by our insurance carrier or the pesticide bureau, also how did you make out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just for the heck of it get a copy of the contract and let us see it. I would think this is a red flag but approach it with an open mind. I have taken on customers who I thought would be hard to make happy but they actually turned out to be good. On the other hand people with POS yards who I would have thought not picky were the worst. They expected you to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t for nothing.