Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
because like stated be someone else, estimates vary by locale. $3000 sounds way to high and $500 sounds way to low. Good luck and I hope you get the job.
I agree. If I priced my jobs like ponyboy, I would be out of work in short order. With all due respect, whatever works for him is good. In my area, adding an extra $100 per truck for fuel when all you may be doing is driving down the street 2 blocks and back may cause me to loose the bid? I hope he means he does this when the truck(s) will be running all day back and forth and he takes each case under consideration?

You MUST make $$ to survive. IMHO, you want to make a buck and not rip people off in the process (No, ponyboy is NOT ripping anybody off- he is pricing according to his needs and market). When I first started, I had a bad habit of under pricing my jobs because I always felt that I was over charging and I wanted to be fair. What I learned is that you have to be fair to the customer AND fair to yourself. Once you find that point, you will be fine.

Yes, there will be jobs that some people will not take your bid because they felt it cost to much. If that happens? you don't want to work for them anyway, as the low budget people will ALWAYS be the biggest PITA customer out there.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

So do my numbers with the exception of customers plants (she supplies) so no need to mark anything up. I guess i could charge $45-$50/hr 5 hours i am thinking, so it will actually take 8 hours lol. I will buy round-up and the weed blocker. She supplies everything else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge the extra 100 because you need to go give an estimate then go do the job then go dump the truck then go back to get paid but that works for me
I have been in business for 20 years and it was my father company for 10 years before that
But good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just charge her a grand and be done with it. I dont price anything hourly any more, because once people know they are being charged per hour they start to watch you and start to nitpick you.

Give her one price to do it all and work at your own pace, From the sounds of it you have literally zero overhead, and would be happier then a pig in $hit to get a grand to do the job.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 10-06-2012, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If the other guy gave her a price of 3k with a straight face and ponyboy says 2200, don't you think you're a little off at 500,800,1000? Sometimes it doesnt need to add up to the penny. There are unforseens. Give her a lump price that covers what ifs. If you price it too tight and get jammed up you just wasted a day of your life in some ladys yard for free. There is no crime in making money so charge what sounds right and will be worth it when you're laying on the couch sore that night
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2012, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Btw I have 15 guys working for me so u could charge less if u consider yourself an employee not an owner of a company
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2012, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The title says we got our first big job
If u got it what did u charge
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2012, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

another factor in determining price too is where are you located at? That job around here would be $2000 max. Things are priced different in different parts of the country.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Btw I have 15 guys working for me so u could charge less if u consider yourself an employee not an owner of a company
Posted via Mobile Device
This makes a HUGE difference in the amount you need to charge. When you have employees, you need to charge enough an hour to cover ALL of the expenses for each one. Not only their wages, but their costs to you like paying in on SSI, unemployment (In PA at least?), WC (workmans comp) and benefits you may offer them.

When you pay an employee $10 an hour, the real cost is a LOT higher. More like $16 for that individual. All of this makes a difference when writing up a bid. The most important thing is knowing your costs BEFORE you hand the customer the quote. If you don't? You are playing one big guessing game.