Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2012, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ditch silt

Just read through the 12 acre pond thread and a question came to me about a ditch cleaning job I need to bid on. Two homeowners have a common ditch that drains storm water into a retention pond. Problem is that silt has built up on their side of the ditch thats keeping the water from draining out of the ditch on the other side of the road. City has asked the residents to get he ditch cleaned up to allow proper drainage. Total ditch length is 600 linear feet and about 3' wide at the point where the silt depth level is. Plan is to rent a 8ton mini with a 36-42" ditch bucket to clean out the silt. I'll have my rc100 on site for any other necessary work. Question is, if I end up hauling this stuff away in my dump and another dump I'll sub contract, what about any water that ends up draining out of the silt and falling on the road? Have you guys ran into this issue? Have spoken with the city and they just want the water to run, nothing special. We checked the GIS and this is not a declared wetland so no EPA involvement is necessary either. Id like to bale out the silt into the rc100 and then spread it out rather than hauling away. I have attached a pic for reference. the yellow line is the ditch, the white box is a buried concrete pipe that i need to dig out, put in stone, and replace with a corrugated pipe and rebury so the homeowner has access over the ditch to some property on the other side. There is a natural pitch towards the basin, but I will take some shots to determine the exact grade. I would like to spread out the silt on the rougher/wild grass areas around the retention pond or the other side of it if possible. any ideas or things i should look out for or plan for?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf stow rd..pdf (165.6 KB, 126 views)
Old 10-05-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

You definately want to avoid having anything leak/drip from the truck onto the road if you're hauling it any distance. Typically you'd stack the sediment and allow it to drain and dry somewhat before hauling it off.

If you can leave on site that's definately a plus - you don't mention how much sediment you'd be digging out but keep in mind you'll want to be 100% sure that if you leave on site that it doesn't run back into the ditch or retention pond, you'll have to put up silt fence, seed and straw, etc.

Typically you can only haul off about 1/2 the capacity of a truck (ie 20 yrd bed can haul about 10 of wet/runny silt) so keep that in mind as well.

I'd say if you are going to dig out under 50 yards I'd haul it off - any more than that I'd look at leaving it onsite (if possible).

Just my 2 cents which is worth about a penny.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would definitly look into spreading the silt on site and letting it dry before trying to truck off. We ran into this issue a few weeks ago while doing debris hauling after hurrican isaac. Guys hauling the marsh grass that was covering the roadways were leaving miles of nasty swampa$$ mud/water. The epa got involved because of polluntants in the flood waters etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You need to look for a specialized hauler with tailgate seals.

There are 2 or 3 trucking companys around here that have them. Long reach straight to the trucks. Trucks out of the city and dump in the sand pits.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Ranger230man hit the nail on the head. All the trucks i have hired for ponds come equiped with a spin on latch that hooks to the tailgate and box of the truck on each side. before you load the truck the driver will spin the latch pulling the tailgate very tight against the box and minimizing any leakage. I will take a picture of one on monday. I wouldnt recomend spreading the mud around the retention pond, if any slumps into the pond you could have the developer or township trying to back charge for cleaning the extra sediment from the pond.Ive seen this happen before.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw