Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok help me out guys!!!!!

I run have a scag TT, scag wildcat, and a cub cadet tank (back up mower). I love my scags and I"m looking at buying a stander for next season. My scag dealer used to have loaner mowers he would give when ours were in the shop, but anymore he doesn"t even carry belts or blades in stock. I feel like he rapes me on labor rates to. One of the bolts on my brake bands broke so i dropped it off to be fixed and he had it for over a week and instead of taking an easyout and getting broke bolt out he just put new brake assembly on and charged almost $500. The wildcat started messing up and we were slammed so i dropped it off and he said the carb was stopped up so all he did was clean carb and charged $450. I get it home and the bolts are stripped to hell and had to fix it before the throttle cable would work. My scag dealer is 45 minutes away. I love scags but wanting a change which stander should i purchase. John deere dealer is 5 minutes down the road,Gravely dealer 30 minutes away or i can go 1.5 hours to a toro/exmark dealer,. I'm leaning to the Gravely Prostance. Or would you guys stay with scag? Thanks for your replies
Old 10-08-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thats crazy, driving that far for any one of those dealer's. I guess I'm spoiled, we have an Exmark, two Scagg, a Wrightstander/Hustler and a Gravely dealer all within 15 minutes. I love my Gravely but parts can be tricky. Our Exmark dealer can get parts faster than the Gravely dealer...who knows. Ours have been trouble free for the most part until this year, we spent about 3k in repairs. I would go with the Gravely dealer if he stocks parts or can get them next day. Ive had the chance this year to try an Exmark and a Scagg and the Gravely's cut much better I think, the Scagg comes in a close second then Exmark. Ours all have an oem stripe kit so Im sure that makes a difference.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The new Gravely Pro-Stance is a great stander and would be my first choice. I am currently testing and have a review going on it. JD's current stander is Gravely's old Pro-Stance. I have not tried the Scag V-Ride but have read reviews that state hillside traction is a problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2012, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobagger View Post
Thats crazy, driving that far for any one of those dealer's. I guess I'm spoiled, we have an Exmark, two Scagg, a Wrightstander/Hustler and a Gravely dealer all within 15 minutes. I love my Gravely but parts can be tricky. Our Exmark dealer can get parts faster than the Gravely dealer...who knows. Ours have been trouble free for the most part until this year, we spent about 3k in repairs. I would go with the Gravely dealer if he stocks parts or can get them next day. Ive had the chance this year to try an Exmark and a Scagg and the Gravely's cut much better I think, the Scagg comes in a close second then Exmark. Ours all have an oem stripe kit so Im sure that makes a difference.

I live in a very rural area and only five or six other lawn crew out there. So commercial mowers don't sell so nobody carries them. The gravely dealer is not far to me since we mow one day a week in the area
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
The new Gravely Pro-Stance is a great stander and would be my first choice. I am currently testing and have a review going on it. JD's current stander is Gravely's old Pro-Stance. I have not tried the Scag V-Ride but have read reviews that state hillside traction is a problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
I own a V-ride and can attest to the cut quality via the Velocity+ deck. I also own a Gravely with the X-factor deck, and can attest to the quality of cut as well. I have noticed one thing between the V-ride and the Prostance, resale! It seems to me that the V-ride has a somewhat higher resale value, compared to the used Gravelys I have seen.

Serving Northeast Ohio
Old 10-08-2012, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

I really like the prostance but the Gravely dealer says he can't give them away since there isn't a big market for commercial mowers around here. I've only looked on the web at them but would really like to demo one too. We have some extremely steep hills/mountains here in southwest va and southern wv so places i can't put the turf tiger i bought a yard shark hydro 52 i will have to keep up with your review on the prostance especially how well it does on steep terrain
Old 10-08-2012, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Pips View Post
I own a V-ride and can attest to the cut quality via the Velocity+ deck. I also own a Gravely with the X-factor deck, and can attest to the quality of cut as well. I have noticed one thing between the V-ride and the Prostance, resale! It seems to me that the V-ride has a somewhat higher resale value, compared to the used Gravelys I have seen.
Have you seen the new Pro-Stance for sale used? Reason I ask is it has only been out for 6-7 months.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Pips View Post
oh I love my scags and swore I would never change but then my dealer screws and rapes me everytim i walk through the door so i think I'm going to change. He did give me a good price on a new v ride 61" though $7700 Gravely prostance 60 or 61 is $7999 and toro Grandstand is I think like $9600
Old 10-08-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashlawn01 View Post
oh I love my scags and swore I would never change but then my dealer screws and rapes me everytim i walk through the door so i think I'm going to change. He did give me a good price on a new v ride 61" though $7700 Gravely prostance 60 or 61 is $7999 and toro Grandstand is I think like $9600
For me, it would be the V-ride, without hesitation. However, your dealer sounds like he leaves a lot to be desired, in which case you should choose whichever product will give you the best support. SCAG dealers are a dime a dozen in my parts.

Serving Northeast Ohio
Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have run Scags for 15 years and love them but now Im replacing them with Gravely. Thats how impressed I am with performance and customer service. I still have one Scag left which will be for sale in the spring.
Posted via Mobile Device