Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-04-2012, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

wam or 72 mower

I am looking for some advice from some of you guys that are doing very large properties. We are bidding on 70 huge places and am trying to figure out some productivity numbers on a wide area mower. Is it worth the investment or should we stick with the 72s? The biggest places is about 250 acres and the average is about 15-20. They will only get cut 16 times per year.

Each site is bid individually and not as a package.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What about a tractor w/ batwing? How far apart are the sites?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

They are all over town, pretty far apart for the most part. I am not sure if a tractor will be allowed or not. I would think the wam would be easier to get around the sites and cause less damage.

Does anybody know any realistic productivity estimates or 15 ft wams or batwing tractors.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2012, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dedicated mowers--wams-- are going to be more productive, especially if there are any obstacles.

Being in Florida, I'd think a wam would be better. (year round mowing, almost)

Most of the wams have a 2 speed tranny anyways, for roading from site to site.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 10-05-2012, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

It's kind of hard to justify a WAM for an annual contract. Then there's the problem with operator abuse of expensive equipment. Here in Ohio 16 cuts per year would be bush-hogging, because with only mowing a couple times per month WAMs get bogged down with that much growth.

But to answer your question WAMs are more productive or they couldn't sell them. They only have a road speed of about 25 mph.

I've been using WAMs for years. They have advantages but not in every situation.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
Here in Ohio 16 cuts per year would be bush-hogging, because with only mowing a couple times per month WAMs get bogged down with that much growth.

good point. same thing down here in Louisiana. a WAM wouldnt be able to handle the rapid growth during the spring and summer. it shows the OP is located in Florida, so i think he would be in the same boat.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
It's kind of hard to justify a WAM for an annual contract. Then there's the problem with operator abuse of expensive equipment. Here in Ohio 16 cuts per year would be bush-hogging, because with only mowing a couple times per month WAMs get bogged down with that much growth.

But to answer your question WAMs are more productive or they couldn't sell them. They only have a road speed of about 25 mph.

I've been using WAMs for years. They have advantages but not in every situation.
Depends on which WAM. A 455, you are correct, underpowered for 16 cuts. If the OP was going for a 580 (Or whatever their new designation is) no problem at all. HP to spare. Possibly even a 4000\4100.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Depends on which WAM. A 455, you are correct, underpowered for 16 cuts. If the OP was going for a 580 (Or whatever their new designation is) no problem at all. HP to spare. Possibly even a 4000\4100.
I haven't noticed the 455 being underpowered. Maybe 65hp and that's on only a 10.5' deck. I've had a couple of 580-D's and they had 80 or so hp on a 16' deck. So the deck width to hp ratio is similar.

The problem comes with the type of decks on WAM's which are rear discharge drop decks. They can't handle lots of growth like a side discharge deck that shoots the clippings out of the way.

I used to have a 12' 3deck batwing mower made by Alamo to mow roadside ditches. It had no baffeling under the deck, and the back was straight, not dropped down like a lawn mowing WAM. It gave a lousey cut and I finally welded baffeling under the deck which improved it somewhat. I don't mow with it anymore and use the tractor portion of it to pull my core aerator.

BTW the new model of the Toro 580-D is the 5900-D. I checked one aut at my dealer. It has an air ride seat! Fantastic mower! I wish I needed one.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My 455's were the 55 HP and were underpowered, too low tip speed, "4WD" sucked, etc.

The big thing the 580's have is not being naturally aspirated.

Always wanted one, never could justify it.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I prefer 72" mower due to the fact that its easy to replace operators and machines if somebody quits or a machine breaks. Bid it with 72's and when it makes sense then possibly go for the wam.