Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-01-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Super Z XR7 Spindle Swap?

Does anyone know if the newer VX4 spindles bolt into the XR7 deck? Mine are noisey at 1100 hrs and I am getting ready to do all idlers and spindle bearings or spindle assemblies.

Also wonder if there has ever been anything that came out to fix the caster walk/shimmy at high speeds? I know they addressed this on the VX4 models but the caster shafts are a different size I believe.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I measured the new style spindles and the measurments seem to be about the same, I do not know if the hole pattern is the same and you need the newer style pullies with bigger spindle holes. Also the newer pullies are a half inch bigger in diameter which means if you want that size you may need to change the engine pulley as well.

I never had a shimmy problem on either of my XR7's.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have about 1100 hrs. on this one and it's time to replace all the idlers and spindle bearings. All but bearings on one spindle are getting noisy. Check on full XR7 spindles and after hearing price it looks like spindle bearing only replacement is what I'll go with assuming the VX4 spindles cost the same.

My front casters shimmy since day one at speed especially on hard surfaces. Even more since I adjusted the steering stick stops to get closer to 15 mph. Since this post I talked to Dan at Hustler headquarters and found they did make a friction shim to be installed on top of the top spindle bearing to reduce or stop the shimmy. I believe this is similar to what they did to the VX4 casters.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember when I bought my XR7 model the dealer told me some shimmy and some did not but added they had changed the front caster slightly to eleviate the problem thisa was in mid 06, the newer spindles are more money like 115 I believe. the XR7 style are like 65 ti 70.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Whoa!! I was quoted around $175 per spindle for the XR7 style!! I was told bearings were about $17 each so I was going the way of bearings.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

go on ebay and look