Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wright stander hydrostatic fluid change

I bought a used ws5223kawe 52" stander last week which I did a full tune up on. The last step I need to do is change the filter and fluid for the hydrostatic system. I know I use mobil1 15w50 for it and I have read a owners manual for a newer stander online. the problem I have is in that manual it said to fill the hydro oil tank to the bottom of the oil level port and mine either doesn't have a oil level port or I cant find it. so how much oil do I put in it?
Old 10-06-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have the tank with the 11/16" plug on top and no oil level check plug, then I would fill it to just below the threaded tube. Its about an inch or so from the top.
Wright Sentar Sport 52/19
Custom built bagging system
Lesco 36/13 WB
Billygoat 18hp truckloader
Bluebird plugger
Lesco split drive plugger
Lesco stainless steel spreader
Stihl BR600
Echo PB-620
assortment of chainsaws,weedeaters,hedge trimmers,sprayers and such
Old 10-07-2012, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The manual calls for " 4"-5" below the top of the oil fill".
That's where we fill all ours to. If you use a flashlight, you'll see the fill tube actually extends into the tank quite a bit.
The manuals readily avail online, just click on the Wright logo at the top of any page here and go to support.

......AMF!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would have to look, but there was a service bulletin on this a while back. You will want to make yourself a dipstick. They have all the levels listed in distance from the bottom of the tank. So dip the dipstick in and measure or put measurements on it.

I wanna say the large frame (48/52/61) fixed deck machines were 6.75 inches measured from the bottom of the tank but I would have to check to make sure.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thank you guys for the info and thank you bigfish I have been on the wright website before looking for the manual and had no idea the older model manuals where in support. found the manual for my model and serial and gonna do the sevice now. thanks again for your help
Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We work on a fleet of 30 + Standers that are rode hard and put away wet. To tell ya the truth, I've yet to change the hydro oil / filter or any of 'em!
The only time the oil or filter gets changed is if a pump or motor fails, which is very rare. Occasionally a blown hose or seal kit install, but not failures.

I would be more concerned with changing the engine oil/filter and pulling the shroud and cleaning the cyl/head fins!

......AMF!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks big fish. I understand that the hydro oils dont really need changing. I have worked for a company now for 18 years and that is the one thing I have never done with our walk behind ferris's. It is more of a precation thing for me. I got the thing used as my first peice of equipment for my own company I plan on starting in the spring so I did everything to it, carb cleaning, all filters, oils. It needs a new starter the one on it has a flat spot and new drive tires. Other then that the machine works good and I got it for a steal I think.....$1250. Good price or what?
Old 10-08-2012, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, I'm not sayin' hydro oil/filters don't need to be changed, you should change it! Just that with the high cost of synth. oil, you can go a loong time between changes.
You might wanna check the wheel motor mounts for cracking. They changed the design of the mounts in like '01 or so and incorporated a curved gusset plate on the bottom side to eliminate the stress cracking.
Name:  006.JPG
Views: 749
Size:  201.5 KB

Name:  009.JPG
Views: 751
Size:  213.2 KB

Name:  004.JPG
Views: 753
Size:  129.8 KB

Name:  010.JPG
Size:  161.3 KB

Name:  005.JPG
Size:  128.0 KB

......AMF!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up again. I will check it out when I take the tires off this winter to replace the rubber. One tire is completely bald so definitely needs to be done
Posted via Mobile Device