Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2012, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Demoed a Scag Cheetah today

Very nice mower.

We used Dixie Choppers for several years and now Ferris for the past two years.

The ride compared to DC is great but not as good as Ferris imo. We have a is2000 and a is3100.

The speed in high is nice for transport, we don't have any properties that can be cut at 16mph. Not really sure why the 2 speeds but the low speed is more than enough for mowing.

The cut was great, much better than the Ferris. Not that Ferris ICD decks do a bad job but this Cheetah did great. Very little need for double cutting, we spend a lot of time double cutting with our Ferris ICD decks. Not sure why this is the case but there is a big difference.

We had no problem seeing the edge of the deck like others have mentioned.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks dude for the review Im thinking about picking up 2 of these soon ive never owned a 60 and would like to find out more about thee ride and cut we run stander xs now there great but on a large lawn i think i would like to sit
Old 08-16-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

How many Hp? I demoed a 34 Hp today.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimliam View Post
How many Hp? I demoed a 34 Hp today.
I think it was a 31hp.

What are your thoughts on the Cheetah?

Old 08-17-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS-Tx View Post
I think it was a 31hp.

What are your thoughts on the Cheetah?
I haven't demoed one but it sure would be nice if they offered dfi or efi. The fuel consumption is going to be much higher with the air cooled engines they currently offer.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I haven't demoed one but it sure would be nice if they offered dfi or efi. The fuel consumption is going to be much higher with the air cooled engines they currently offer.
Orange, I average about $45-50 when I fill up with both tanks on E. With my older JD it would take around $18-19 to fill up, but it had about a 9 gallon tank and I would need to fill up about everyday, or every 8-9 yards. The Cheetah does like fuel, but honestly, I can go 2, sometimes 3 days without needing to fill up so it's just about the same fuel wise, of course this will change depending on your mower. In my situation it counters itself out.

You wouldn't happen to have a SCAG would you?
Old 08-18-2012, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i recently bought a scag cheetah with a 61" deck, and a 34hp air cooled kohler, cuts great, much better ride then my 05 tiger cub i had before. cut better cut quality going from the advantage deck to the velocity plus. fuel consumption hasn't really changed much even though i had a 19hp kawi on my 48" tiger cub. it used to take about 7-8 gallons to do 14 or 15 lawns and that was between two tanks on the tiger cub and on the cheetah that's one tank, plus its fast, i still have the original blades on it with 63hrs and two months of cutting, and i have ran over sticks, i split a few small rocks in half, with no damage to the blades, and its still cuts great, i do have to double cut some parts of some lawns but they grow fast enough to be cut twice a week even in august, and they have no irrigation, my only regret was not going with a 72" deck but they don't make a bagger kit for the 72's yet so i bought the 61. i cut in high range and love the speed, gotta be quick on lifting the deck, so you don't scalp but its nice for breaking up clippings on thick lawns. even on the first pass with my dull blades as long as the deck is clean it still cuts 90% of the grass, i would imagine with sharp blades nothing would be missed at full speed on as long as the deck isn't bouncing.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijustwantausername View Post
Orange, I average about $45-50 when I fill up with both tanks on E. With my older JD it would take around $18-19 to fill up, but it had about a 9 gallon tank and I would need to fill up about everyday, or every 8-9 yards. The Cheetah does like fuel, but honestly, I can go 2, sometimes 3 days without needing to fill up so it's just about the same fuel wise, of course this will change depending on your mower. In my situation it counters itself out.

You wouldn't happen to have a SCAG would you?
I have a Tiger Cub. It's a 07. 25hp Kohler. It burns close to a gallon per hour.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The Scag dealer said the Cheetah can be ordered with the suspension seat. I'm thinking that may improve the ride a little more.

The was not terrible just not as good as our Ferris IS3100.

What are you guys paying for the Scag Cheetah 34/61?

Old 08-19-2012, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i think it was right around 12,500 out the door, i'd have to find my receipt to verify. well worth the money for me.