The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-05-2015, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Best way to use trimmer attachment

I have gotten in the habit of always keeping my trimmer/weedeater heads in the upright position when I am edging. I turn the lower shaft 180 so that the trimmer head is vertical to the ground. I guess I started this because I had a finicky trimmer once that tended to conk out when the head itself was flipped even though I know 2 stroke carbs ought to operate in any position. Also, I have a 4 stroke where it is advised not to turn the head upside down because of the motor oil component of 4 stroke. But recently I bought a used 2 stroke Husqvarna 128LD and found that the locking/release button on the lower shaft has no hole to fit into when said shaft is turned 180. There is such a hole on other brands that I own. So that got me curious. Oddly, I discovered that there is no mention of doing anything but fastening the lower shaft horizontally in any of the owner's manuals I have located for Husq, Echo, Toro, Troybilt, & Ryobi. So, I ask: Why did the manufacturers put the extra holes on the lower shaft if an owner is only supposed to attach it one position? What do you folks think is the best way to edge?
Old 10-05-2015, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For all of the other attachments you can buy for it. I used to have one and they use all of the trimmer plus attachments from lowes. Never tried to turn the trimmer head for edging though. The best way for me to edge is with a stick edger
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2015, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Sure. ... other attachments (slap forehead). I don't own any; guess that's why it didn't occur to me. Still, I think turning the lower shaft for edging with a standard trimmer head is a good technique but maybe I'm alone on this one.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Seems odd to move the attachment when you can just turn the entire unit, but I won't knock someone for doing something that works for them.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Drill another hole in the shaft opposite the one already there i had to do this with a shaft on a shindaiwa 250 i was given the hole had become to worn as the head had been loose and constantly rubbing
Old 10-06-2015, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tip on drilling a hole. But the tightening knob on this model is located where the hole would go. That's why I'm thinking Husqvarna never intended for the lower shaft to be affixed any other way than horizontal.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

A few additional thoughts on turning the lower shaft for edging. First, an advantage to doing so is that the user will have the handle in the proper position at all times. If one flips the trimmer over, he must attempt to grab the bottom of the handle. Some handles have small areas to grip and others don't. In either case, it's not ideal. Of course, he can loosen the handle and turn it 180 but isn't that about as much effort as turning the lower shaft? Second, many fuel caps tend to leak over time because the gasket deteriorates. While it is a good idea to replace the cap with a new one, there would be no hurry if the tank was always used in the upright position. It's sorta like a handheld or back pack blower. Those tools never get flipped upside down even though the carb would run fine if they did. Admittedly, this last advantage is marginal. Not being critical here of the way others use trimmers; just some food for thought.