Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-16-2012, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Customers slacking off on payment at season end

It seems that it's like this every year. As the season comes to a close, whether it be my mowing season or my plowing season, customer payments seem to slow down. I bill Net 15 and about 40% of my customers have not paid my September invoice yet. Lawns are still actively growing and in need of mowing as well as leaves coming down at a pretty good rate. I generally don't worry about payment until it reaches 30 days, and some customers are always a little after my due date, but it's just annoying. They still need me and I still need to get paid in a timely manner!

Do others who bill monthly also experience this payment slowdown as the season approaches an end?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Same here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I replace the slowest payers every year. Still have a few but always fishing. Find a better fish and throw the others back.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know that how I do it doesn't work for everyone, but for spring cleanups, and especially fall cuts/cleanups I require payment each week or it doesn't get done. Too many people seem to over spend for their kids going back to school needs and school activities and are always "short" when it comes to the lawn guy come fall time. Their problems are not going to become mine.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Sponsor

There are always going to be those that pay slow. Over the last 16 years, we would have 10 to 15 percent pay late. We would assess late fees but this did not seem to help in most cases. Every year, we would have a little less than 5 percent no pay at all. It is very important to stay on top of your accounts receivable and get rid of those that are continuously late.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I do the same thing as "Ridin Green." during spring and summer, customers always seem to pay on time, but as soon as fall rolls around, they slack off. For fall, i almost treat leaf jobs are landscaping jobs where i quote the customers each week for the job. Leaves are always tricky like that.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

What about payment at time of service? Does anyone do this?

I'm new to the site and have been thinking about starting to mow part time. I dread the thought of chasing down payments.

Does anyone use a mobile debit/credit card reader, like through an iPhone? What about cash only or prepay through credit/debit?

Any info on what works or doesn't work would be helpful.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Same boat here sort of. Seems like everyone is getting lazy.

I've cut down a large amount of slow payers just by leaving little reminders on their service tag each week leading up to the due date which is always the 15th.

Most clients now get the bill in within a day before due or 2-3 days after rather than a week + later

I'm looking at implementing a month in advance billing. I've seen a few guys on here talking about it and those that do it already and it works for them. Makes sense for me to try and do that.

Cleanups in Spring is 1 payment in March, Fall I do either 1 lump payment which is due Nov 1st or 2 payments (Nov-Dec)

Would love to have credit cards on file for automatic billing but no one had taken that option
Old 10-16-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have the same thing happen to me every year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thought I was the only one feels like once September hits I send just as many reminder invoices as I do regular ones. Anyone found a good solution to this?
00 chevy 3500 dump
03 dodge dakota
4 ferris wb
1 ferris ztr
2 exmark ztr
lesco spreader sprayer stand on
case 1845
western plows