Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-06-2012, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2 more months of go go go

This is always a busy time of the year for me. Coming to the end of the working season. October has usually a good 3-4 weeks of mowing, we are still trying to bust out landscaping projects, and right into busy busy leaf cleanup that will run till Dec. Right into plowing season. I allways hope the snow holds off till after dec so we can finish all our work. Hope everyone can finish off this season strong enough to take alittle break over the winter.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

October should be a solid mowing season for me with the transition into leaf season however we have gotten no rain in 3 weeks and none in sight so it looks as if leaf season is gonna be all I get. I'm with ya on the snow holding off but its already close to me up in Minnesota.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Same here. Well except we wont get a break with snow. Lol working on designs for three big installs and piking up a contract clearing underbrush for a developer on a new community.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2012, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Frost here tonight. Leaves starting to fall. I hope to finish strong affter enduring the two month drought.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It seems that this is the way mother nature does it, year after year. It's actually quite boring if you ask me.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
It seems that this is the way mother nature does it, year after year. It's actually quite boring if you ask me.
What do you mean about boring?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Boring as in repetitive work. It's the same thing every time whether you're cutting grass or plowing snow. Also, it's been this way for years.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The problem customers change the break downs vary but the cycle remains the same and is boring.

Jan data entry of recites and get the reports ready for the accountant.

Feb planing new advertizing for the year making new plans chasing down money owed and writing the new contracts.

March finishing what ever wasn't in Feb then spending a few days going over the shop and equipment and forgotten repairs. The spring clean ups begin the 10-20th if the weather is normal. We sign new lawns with ease as it warms up.

April Signing new customers daily .Mowing begins when it warms up and you see some growth can be the first week can be the last week. Clean ups end ferts down and soil tests and seeding jobs are being done.

May regular mowing but very lush next round of fert end of the seeding jobs and mulch jobs are being done.

June regular mowing can be as hard as May all side work is completed shrub trimming begins.

July next round of fert summer mowing mild drought is the norm. Trimming jobs continue.

August it gets wet lawns green up and everyone pretends they don't. Same thing every year cheep people freak that their lawns betray them and grow after we get the rains. We finish trimming and lime goes down.

Sept round 4 of fert regular mowing any new trimming or seeding jobs.

Oct mowing with the aggravation of leaves the later we get. The crab grass lawns slow down the fertilized lawns go nuts. We finish seeding we finish lime applications and round 5 of fert.

Nov 1-2 weeks of mowing followed by a week of prep for fall clean ups followed by 7 days a week clean up schedule if its nice or workable were out.

Dec clean ups continue finishing around the 10-20th unless we get snow interruptions then it gets ugly.

Jan repeat of last year. How is that not boring its just one giant cycle.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Boring as in repetitive work. It's the same thing every time whether you're cutting grass or plowing snow. Also, it's been this way for years.
Oh okay, i understand what you mean now. I agree it is boring in that way also for me. It gets old, just keeps to the same routine over and over again. I even noticed a cycle in my behavior changes with the seasons. By this time of the year, my main goal is to pay all my vendors off and finish everything is fast as possible so I can lay my guys off for the year. I like having a mental break from running this buisiness for 2 months.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
The problem customers change the break downs vary but the cycle remains the same and is boring.

Jan data entry of recites and get the reports ready for the accountant.

Feb planing new advertizing for the year making new plans chasing down money owed and writing the new contracts.

March finishing what ever wasn't in Feb then spending a few days going over the shop and equipment and forgotten repairs. The spring clean ups begin the 10-20th if the weather is normal. We sign new lawns with ease as it warms up.

April Signing new customers daily .Mowing begins when it warms up and you see some growth can be the first week can be the last week. Clean ups end ferts down and soil tests and seeding jobs are being done.

May regular mowing but very lush next round of fert end of the seeding jobs and mulch jobs are being done.

June regular mowing can be as hard as May all side work is completed shrub trimming begins.

July next round of fert summer mowing mild drought is the norm. Trimming jobs continue.

August it gets wet lawns green up and everyone pretends they don't. Same thing every year cheep people freak that their lawns betray them and grow after we get the rains. We finish trimming and lime goes down.

Sept round 4 of fert regular mowing any new trimming or seeding jobs.

Oct mowing with the aggravation of leaves the later we get. The crab grass lawns slow down the fertilized lawns go nuts. We finish seeding we finish lime applications and round 5 of fert.

Nov 1-2 weeks of mowing followed by a week of prep for fall clean ups followed by 7 days a week clean up schedule if its nice or workable were out.

Dec clean ups continue finishing around the 10-20th unless we get snow interruptions then it gets ugly.

Jan repeat of last year. How is that not boring its just one giant cycle.
Well hopefully after your busy season, you made some good bank for your hard work!!