Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

cutting high sides down on gravel rd

Im looking for some tips on the best ways to work the high sides of a private gravel rd back into the middle. My thought is a dozer would be best but since I have a skid I can either bucket it back in or Harley rake it. It might push more material into the ditches though.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

What about renting a dozer blade for your skid. There definitely not the best option but might work well at a reasonable price for what your looking to do. The other way I've done it before when I want to keep everything in the road is pull the highpoints and edges in with an excavator and just make a windrow in the middle with the material then come back through with a skidsteer for final grade. With out seeing the road its hard to say but using a skid with a bucket, rake or blade will most likely end up with more material being pushed out into the ditches then there already is.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I spent 3 months running a grader earlier this spring doing quite a bit of road maintenance. Honestly, best way to do it is with a blade. You could probably do it with a dozer, though, just a little less clean. Straddle the shoulder with a hard angle and pitch material into the road but not over the crown. Go up on side and down the other shoulder. On the 3rd pass, blast the first pass over the crown, come back down the other side and feather it out. If there is no crown to the road and you're just maintaining cross slope, work your passes from low to high and leave the duff on the high side to help drainage. Hope that helps a little.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 06-11-2013, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A picture would help us help you. Call the rent center and ask what they got for that job, my local guy is really helpful with that. He knows how to get my $$.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes blade it back in too the middle. The Harly rake does a great job of pulling the rock out of the dirt and bringing it back too the top but would be slow going trying too use it too reshape the road.