Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quickie 32 Samurai: Good purchase?

I am looking to sell my Hustler Mini Z 42 and replace it with a smaller mower for several reasons. One, it only gets used on smaller backyards and terrain that is too uneven for my 60" Lazer. Two, after buying my exmark 60 I feel that the cut quality of the Hustler does not even compare to my Exmark. Three, with the mower I want to replace it with, I would free up some extra cash. My prospect replacement mower is a used BOP Quickie 32 Samurai with only 11 hours. I have several concerns about this mower. I don't know anyone in my area that uses one and am not very sure of the life and durability of the mower. I have also seen several complaints on the forum about clumping with wet grass. Living in South Louisiana I cut PLENTY of wet grass. I need something that can remain productive, preferably while mulching, in wet grass. Lastly, I want something with the cut quality of my exmark, but the productivity of a hydro unit. I would love a turf tracer, but can't find one in good condition in my price range. Anyone with experience with these machines, I would definitely appreciate any input.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can see from my profile that i like BOP mowers, but, if mulching with the plate on is your goal, you may be very dissapointed in wet grass. If you think you can side discharge, go for it. I'd love to have a 32, so if you do pass let me know.
Snapper 21"
Toro Dingo 222
ISEKI Diesel Compact Tractor, attachments (bush hog, middle buster plow & land leveler
Steiner all wheel drive Tractor, attachments (stump grinder, rough cut mower, scrape blade & dual wheels)
5X10 open trailer
16' equipment trailer
1997 Ford F-350 7.3 4X4 SRW Crew Cab 8' bed
Old 10-17-2012, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would be more concerned that the manufacturer has closed their doors, possibly for good. The last I heard they were still shipping out parts, but it's anybody's guess how long that will continue. Some of their parts are proprietary and may be hard or impossible to get in the future. Furthermore, there is no dealer network for BOP mowers and never has been. Personally, there's no way I'd spend a dime on a mower that I have no confidence in being able to get support for in the future.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

The reason I want to mulch is that I don't want to have to mow twice or blow extra afterwards to get rid of visible clipping left in the yard. Do your mowers disperse clippings well enough that you don't have to worry about that? Also, if you are familiar enough with Exmarks, how do you think the cut quality compares?
Old 10-17-2012, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for filling me in.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

90% of my mowing, is weekly on Bermuda. The 36 & 44's cut and disperse great wiith equal or better cut than anything else i've tried. They do ok on every other week lawns, but leave some clippings that can be seen. Those customers are not looking for the best results anyway. I never have to double cut unless the yard went way past the cut interval or a yahoo new account who let it get 6" high. Field grass, and tall broadleafs get pushed over by the shallow deck and require double cutting. I have no expierence with the 32". Make sure the price is super low, or i'd also recommend you walk away.
Snapper 21"
Toro Dingo 222
ISEKI Diesel Compact Tractor, attachments (bush hog, middle buster plow & land leveler
Steiner all wheel drive Tractor, attachments (stump grinder, rough cut mower, scrape blade & dual wheels)
5X10 open trailer
16' equipment trailer
1997 Ford F-350 7.3 4X4 SRW Crew Cab 8' bed
Old 10-17-2012, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They had announced that they were being purchased by a large company but that was quite some time ago.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ht=bop&page=15

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...&highlight=bop
Old 10-17-2012, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lets put it this way: I liked my Quick 36 but sold it off at the beginning of the year for a TTHP due to BOP biting the dust. I am glad I made the move.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 10-17-2012, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you looking at the one in southern Mississippi on Craigslist? You can get parts for BOP mowers at sources other than BOP. One part I was concerned about was the spindles, but now they list them as available directly from Noram. If you're looking at a dually, I can't really think of any parts that can't be sourced elsewhere, other than the main frame and deck. The hydro units, cables, belts, bearings, idlers etc are readily available. These are great cutting (within reason) mowers that are more compact than any other walk behinds. Let us know how it goes.

Edit - There's a member on here, "Exact Rototilling" that probably has as much experience with the Quickie 32 as anyone. You may want to PM him for his input.

Last edited by Nate'sLawnCare; 10-17-2012 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 10-17-2012, 04:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You will NOT be able to mulch wet grass with it. Trust me.
Posted via Mobile Device