Register free!

Old 10-11-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
I am at $16 per zone for existing customers new ones are at $17 per zone.
That's reasonable. Any cold call systems larger than 15 zones would get a remote pigtail and first season would be T&M. Once we knew the lay of the land, and with the remote and a quick-couple air connection,we could usually bang through most systems at the above price.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would love to get $16 a zone. There's guys doing 10 zones here for $35
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Minimum of $65 or I will just continue to sit around drinking my coffee with my dogs while watching SportsCenter.
Do you think the dogs really like Sports Center? What about Lassie, Rin Tin Tin or Scooby Doo for a change?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If it's NASCAR or Hydoplane racing, Rosa is on it.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
This is the land of $20-$40 blowouts. Bigger estate properties barely $65-70. Is it worth bothering with at those rates.....?
Posted via Mobile Device
No , you would be losing money on each stop
Old 10-11-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
In my area one of the Most reputable irrigation Co. pushes a $99 special prepay every Spring. Turn on and basic system check, back flow test and Fall blowout.
Posted via Mobile Device
So what have they done ? , they have locked up that customer for the season . And on the spring turn on they find 3 or 4 heads to replace and bill a seperate labor and parts invoice . Plus they have a influx of cash to use for operating expenses . Its a simple loss leader . I have something similiar coming into play this spring.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Do you think the dogs really like Sports Center? What about Lassie, Rin Tin Tin or Scooby Doo for a change?
Posted via Mobile Device
I used to leave the tv on, with Animal Planet channel playing for the dogs to have some entertainment when I would leave them inside. One would get excited if he heard a doorbell on the tv. Sadly, he can't hear much of anything now, and is sleeping most of the time. His days are coming to an end soon, and he can't stand up on his own very well. I dread coming home lately, thinking that this may be the day. Took him for probably his last camping trip a couple weeks ago.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You've got to spell out what winterize is all about: it's not all about air. It's about inspecting the operation of each zone/head:alignment, clogging, flow-by, etc. Air is great for searching for leaks, so attention to air bubbles should be noted during the walk-thru. Winterize can be done professionally or "show, blow, go".
Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
You've got to spell out what winterize is all about: it's not all about air. It's about inspecting the operation of each zone/head:alignment, clogging, flow-by, etc. Air is great for searching for leaks, so attention to air bubbles should be noted during the walk-thru. Winterize can be done professionally or "show, blow, go".
Mike - on megas like yours, that will work. For 95-99% of the blow outs here, spending extra time which relates to extra charges, is going to mean a lean winter due to no blow outs. I walk around as much as I can and look/listen for leaks, especially on the drip lines though.

I did get a mega today, that I will have to go back for. Existing customer bought on a foreclosure and is fixing it up. 50+ zones, but get this. 24 are on the controller, and more than 25 Hunter battery op valve/controllers Good thing is there was a sticker on the controller from a previous company working on it and I called him. He is going to give me some advice, seeing how I loaned him my backup compressor for four days.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Mike - on megas like yours, that will work. For 95-99% of the blow outs here, spending extra time which relates to extra charges, is going to mean a lean winter due to no blow outs. I walk around as much as I can and look/listen for leaks, especially on the drip lines though.

I did get a mega today, that I will have to go back for. Existing customer bought on a foreclosure and is fixing it up. 50+ zones, but get this. 24 are on the controller, and more than 25 Hunter battery op valve/controllers Good thing is there was a sticker on the controller from a previous company working on it and I called him. He is going to give me some advice, seeing how I loaned him my backup compressor for four days.
I know what your talking about about, Dana, but it's a matter of instructing the client what winterize is all about.