Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-13-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

experience with skid steer tree fellers

Has anyone used to tried out any type of fellers for skid steers. Either shear or saw type.

Just curious for future projects.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Are you talking about a shear? I have used shears for years up to 20" but not with a grapple on them like a true feller buncher. I don't like shears for very tall trees unless you can control where they fall. A rotten tree or very hard tree jumping off the stump can be dangerous but for medium sized trees and soft woods, a shear is an amazing tool.
I have no experience with a saw. Would like to try a turbo saw or marshall saw but probably not in the cards any time soon.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-13-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sort of, I know they have shear types and saw type. But I am talking about one that incorporates a vertical grapple so that you can turn and stack the cut trees to be taken by a skidder.

I would like to get into some lighter clearing, and have looked into skidder grapples to go on the back of our 90hp AG tractor. That coupled with a feller attachment to handle up to 16-20" trees could work pretty well. Anything larger can be felled by a saw guy.

I have been expanding our firewood sales so this is another source of wood for that side of our business. Does a shear really damage the bottom part of the tree? How well do shears work on oak, maple, locust, and other hardwoods?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

A company I was clearing land for, had a tree shear for their Bobcat. I did not like it, as it was almost impossible to plan where the tree would fall. They traded it in and got a tree saw for me to use. This had a push bar on it, so you could plan your cut, then push a little against it to encourage it to fall more or less where you want it to. I really liked the saw attachment and could cut hundreds of mesquite trees each day with it. I also used it to trim low hanging limbs off of trees we wanted to save.
I did have to be sure and keep the saw out of the dirt, or the teeth would dull really quickly. Also, I had to check the teeth about 3 or 4 times/day, as they had a tendancy to get loose. I can not remember the brand of saw, but it did a great job for us.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Davco manufacturing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out Dymax attachments. I'm currently looking at a shear that has bunching and accumulating capabilities for our 160D. I noticed that they have several skidsteer models up to 20". From the 20 something plus videos I've watched of different shears, the wood only seems to get damaged if the shear blades are not kept sharp. As long as the blades are sharp, it looks like these shears will slice through trees like butter and leave a nice clean butt log and stump.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee