Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-27-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Issue with redmax hand helds

on Friday a redmax weed eater and a redmax blower started acting up on me. The blower is a ebz7100(older model) and it will crank and idle fine, but when you give it gas it dies?? The weedeater is a 25cc strato charged(1 year old, don't know the model off the top of my head) it literally filled the whole cylinder up with fuel to the point where the muffler had gas in it. I couldn't even turn the motor over, I had to remove the spark plug and get all the fuel out. These tools ran perfectly the day before and the only change was the night before was in the low 30's and it's the first time this year being this cold.
Any ideas???
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a look at the piston in that trimmer. Scored?

Subscribed.

How is your fuel stored? Im thinking possibly condensation in the fuel. (Early guess).
Posted via Mobile Device

Edit: stop using that fuel. Confirm its not contaminated, or has excess ethanol.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not 100% sure how Redmax carbs are made, but, I'm going to assume they're a "stock" carb that others use.

There's a valve (for lack of term) that slides within the carb, on Stihl products. It is hidden and the passage it sits in is sealed with a plug. This piece slides, based on which circuit the machine should be running on (low- or high-speed). When it sticks to the low-side, the machine will not rev out as it can't get the fuel. When it sticks to the high-side, it will not start and just floods out. The only way I could get that one to start (it stuck both ways, depending on what it felt like) was to attach a high-speed drill to the crank and spin the crap out of the motor with the throttle wide-open. Once started, it wouldn't run at low-speed. I tried cleaning the carb on this particular machine twice, to no avail. I bought a new carb for ~$15. Runs like a champ, now. Paraffin is the waxy substance I found inside this particular carb. With the new carb, I switched to using aviation fuel in my handhelds. I'm still pump gas in my mowers, though. But, poor-grade, pump gas is what's causing the problems, as it's full of additives to try and make crap gas burn in a car engine.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 10-27-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I run opti2 oil and 93. Maybe water got in the fuel? We have an isuzu box truck and store the gas in there in the new style gas cans. So I don't think water got in the gas, but I could have had water in it before we got it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Important distinction. Do you have tight fitting caps on the gas cap?
I ask because if not, the rest of the circumstances could well result in significant condensation.

It's quite possible that like a glass of ice water sweats and leaves a puddle. In the case of ethanol laden fuel, the result is a sudden seperation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2013, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
on Friday a redmax weed eater and a redmax blower started acting up on me. The blower is a ebz7100(older model) and it will crank and idle fine, but when you give it gas it dies?? The weedeater is a 25cc strato charged(1 year old, don't know the model off the top of my head) it literally filled the whole cylinder up with fuel to the point where the muffler had gas in it. I couldn't even turn the motor over, I had to remove the spark plug and get all the fuel out. These tools ran perfectly the day before and the only change was the night before was in the low 30's and it's the first time this year being this cold.
Any ideas???
Posted via Mobile Device
On the blower, pull the plug and the muffler. Check/clean the port of any carbon buildup. Clean the spark screen or toss it. If the port isn't clogged, then ya gotta get in to the carb, or replace it.

The trimmer has an obvious carb inlet needle / flooding issue. Either rebuild it or replace it.
A scored piston ain't gonna cause flooding, no way.
Some trimmers had a separate fuel pump tucked up behind the carb , that could be bad.
Be sure and get new carb mounting gaskets, whichever way ya go.

......AMF!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Somewhere your fuel have become a problem. Either it was not up to snuff when you got it or it got contaminated after you got it.