Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

New Company Legitimizing --Need Help

I am new to the site; Ive been doing lawns since I was 16 in high school had a couple accounts that paid every time I came, low cost just cutting grass the basics. Well when I went to college I sold all my equipment and now I am starting it back up small but steadily growing.

I am in Georgia so anyone who lives in Georgia would be great help specifically but if anyone knows about the information I am about to ask please PM me.

1. Forming an LLC. it seems simple but I want to make sure I dont just form it and end up stepping into something way bigger than I knew.

2. Once you form an LLC can you open a company bank account / credit? And does anyone do this...I know you obviously try to make more than you spend but I am going to need a couple pieces of equipment to be doing the commercial jobs I want to be doing.

3. How exactly do you go about bidding for commercial businesses?

4. Advertising...ANY IDEAS...I have always done business cards on the mailbox, recently I started posting in craigslist (only two people contacted me about getting estimates)..I was also thinking about buying signs to post on corners like with the wire legs..anyone have success with this? Or any other ideas at all.

5. Just general business help...I was wondering if anyone has good advice about maybe a design program or like a quickbooks or something and what is the benefits of these types of programs..

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 10-04-2012, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey man the best thing I can tell you about LLC is sit down and talk to somebody who specializes in helping people set them up. You will have to pay but to have somebody help you with the steps and explain everything in terms you can understand priceless. Its a fairly straightforward process but you need to understand exactly what your getting in to. Unless we have some part time lawyer/landscapers on this site this isnt the place for legal advice.

As far as advertising goes business cards are good for somebody who is already interested but not for generating new customers. Fliers, door hangers
in my experience a waste of time.
What I learned worked best is just talking to people, not going up to complete strangers and asking if you can mow their grass. But start with people you know tell your friends, your family, people at your church, your current job etc. tell them what your trying to do and if they ever need anything or know anybody that does you will be glad to help. Then slide them a business card they will put it in their wallet and the next time they hear somebody talking about needing yard work your card ends up in their hand.
Before you know it you have got enough work to keep you busy.

If you are a start up company commercial accounts shouldnt even be on your radar. You need to start small push mower, hand tools. Build up a good residential client base, do quality work and grow out of neccessity not to keep up with everybody elses shiny new trucks and trailers.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I have talked to some of my friends and family an coworkers and got a couple jobs but it seems like that's kind of hit a dead end or maybe just no one needs anything right now. And I have a few residential accounts and all the equipment for them the only reason I was asking was because I work in a industrial park and would like to pick up a couple accounts in here and could just stop by and do them in the afternoons when I got off work. I have looked on google for like business startup help and I keep getting what seems like spam websites looking to make a buck. Maybe I am searching the wrong thing or not phrasing my search right...because I would assume there would be someone in atlanta area that does this lol. But the other question I have is do yall have shirts made or think its a waste of time? I just ordered 200 dollars worth of 12 shirts all safety green or orange some long some short and a hoodie. I know its too late now either way I mean I have the cash for them me and a friend that helps me got into an argument when I had told him I bought shirts. He thinks its not necessary. Which it is not but then again I feel if you look professional people will take it that way. If you look like a scrub that's how they will think of the company. I was just wondering how long was it before other people ordered shirts or do you still do lawn services just wearing whatever.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Sponsor

I would pass out Flyers and drive customers to you website where they can receive an instant online bid or you can instantly email them the bid for services using AcculawnSystems.com. Furthermore, we are offering this system to only one LCO per area. So once a LCO signs up for the area we will not be able to offer this technology to any other LCO in that area. This is a huge advantage to the LCO that is able to use this method in their area to gain new customers. Also, the LCO will be the only one posted as a provider on acculawncare.com. Check to see if your area is available by going to acculawnsystems.com and reserve your spot today.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As for commercial accounts what works best for me is talking to them directly. Going into the building and asking to speak to the person who handles all the outside maintenance work. Talk to them and find out when they will be accepting bids and ask if you can submit a bid. Sometimes they will have you bid out a small job first to see how your work compares to others. Then they might let you submit a bid for the commercial maintenance. As for bidding them, you need to know what your break even point is. Commercial customers are good to do business with but the profit margins in my area are low. Best thing to do is look up Procut's thread about how to bid commercial properties. He breaks it down the best. Of course that is my opinion and mended his theory on it with my theory on it and it has worked for my company. Like others have stated, get a lot of residnetial customers and then go for the commercial work. Start with smaller commercial then work your way up to bigger and bigger commercial sites. Hope that makes sense. If not PM me and I will try to help you out the best that I can with the explanation.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks DQL...I am about to check out the thread now..I am sure anything will help.

I just filed for my Georgia LLC today so I am super anxious and just waiting for some news (usually takes about 10 days here)...Then the next step would be my EIN and county licenses and codes to make sure I am all legal.

Like I said I have been cutting lawns in high school for years but I am really trying to make a big push on having this become my career.

I have also done small tree jobs and enjoy trees I understand and know how to work a bunch of different scenarios from prior experience with a contracting company I worked for...what are falls opinion on trying to get ISA certified arborist? Smart investment or a waste of time and money? Is anyone else who does mostly install and lawn maintenance certified?
Old 10-13-2012, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

You can get your ein online without paying a dime to anyone and it is immediate. You will need your business license, EIN and LLC paperwork before you open a bank account, but you should be able to open a bank account under a DBA. for example, John Smith DBA john's landscaping, until you have your LLC, then just switch it over, so you get the process moving.

Fliers and door hangers rarely work and i don't recommend using them for a start up business, you will be wasting your money. Best to get referrals from family and friends, they don't cost you any money and you also save yourself in time over the long haul. To build your business, once you are established you could advertise, but beware, print or other marketing tools might not work the way you intended, you need to copy what your competitors are doing like direct marketing, advertising is local HOA/POA newsletters, something simple, to the point and advertises in the areas you are working in. So when you pick up new business you are not traveling all over the place for one new client here and one new client there.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyway you do it I think your fed tax id number is free. Mine was and I didnt do it online. But as nealster said you will need your tax id number, business license and some other small stuff. Best think I did last year was move from Wells Fargo to a small local bank. Bank with small banks as they are more person oriented vs. big banks who dont care. It will help out in the long run and they will do a better job of watching over your money.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Sponsor

If you do not have a website to drive customers to, that's ok because we give you one when you sign up for acculawnsystems.com. Customers can go directly to your website and get and instant online quote based on you pricing. Only one LCO per area and they are going fast. See if your area is still available and receive a 30 day free trial with no obligation. Acculawnsystems.com and Acculawncare.com.