Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2012, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Bermuda Fall/Winter Pre Emergent

What is the best fall pre emergent for Bermuda?
Old 09-08-2012, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Forever,
It depends on what weed is proliferate in your region.
I have issues with poa annua early in the season when the temps drop down, so I hit the grass before dormancy with pendimethalin or prodiamine. Prodiamine--split app, November--split app, of pendimethalin..........then after the frost, a zap of Simazine. This works for my southern apps.
Read each of these product labels above to see what weeds they cover compared to what you are experiencing. Some guys prefer Dimension for weeds. I look at my costs for products and go from there.
If I have outbreaks of broadleaf weeds in the winter, I will sneak in some dormant season glyphosate as spot sprays or will do a round of Cool power.. I try to hit this stuff before the freeze.......I don't fill up the rig and watch it burst.
It really depends on your seasonal outbreaks according to your own findings.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We use prodiamine or pendimethalin. I agree with Think Green it all depends on what kind of weeds and weather conditions.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Seems lile I have had better results on Poa and Rescuegrass using Simazine (with 3 way for broadleaf) applied in Oct since Simazine has pre and post abbilities
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I am going to try simazine and manor between Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. I have had problems with Poa break outs, so this comes as a recommendation from the University of Arkansas. I just hope their agri dept is better than the football dept right now.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

simazine and coolpower mix is what I've been using in the fall. It can be applied after october 1, but I usually waint until late oct/early nov to apply mine.

I use prodiamine in the sping in a split app.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad004 View Post
I am going to try simazine and manor between Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. I have had problems with Poa break outs, so this comes as a recommendation from the University of Arkansas. I just hope their agri dept is better than the football dept right now.
Simazine here.

Jad
Not sure the manor is going to be that effective at the lower temps. Could be wrong but may want to check with others.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Simazine + Manor between Thanksgiving and Christmas? Doesn't sounds like a very good PRE program to me. Could be an early POST program, but what good would the Manor do?

Dr. Boyd at UA latches on to simazine a lot, but I'm not convinced it's as good for Poa control as he thinks it is. It is also in the traizine class, so there are a lot of restrictions on its application, like wind speed and water setbacks. Also, it could have cross-resistance with atrazine, so where atrazine has been used for a long time and resistance has built up, there could also be resistanceto simazine.

In my experience, Manor won't injure Poa at all. It even has Kentucky bluegrass (a close relative) on the label as a tolerant turf type. I also think there are better and quicker acting alternatives to use during that cool weather period.

The application timing is also a bit suspect. Poa often germinates continually between August and April in the southeast, but has two main flushes in August/September and Jan/Feb, which the nov-Dec app would miss.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Simazine + Manor between Thanksgiving and Christmas? Doesn't sounds like a very good PRE program to me. Could be an early POST program, but what good would the Manor do?

Dr. Boyd at UA latches on to simazine a lot, but I'm not convinced it's as good for Poa control as he thinks it is. It is also in the traizine class, so there are a lot of restrictions on its application, like wind speed and water setbacks. Also, it could have cross-resistance with atrazine, so where atrazine has been used for a long time and resistance has built up, there could also be resistanceto simazine.

In my experience, Manor won't injure Poa at all. It even has Kentucky bluegrass (a close relative) on the label as a tolerant turf type. I also think there are better and quicker acting alternatives to use during that cool weather period.

The application timing is also a bit suspect. Poa often germinates continually between August and April in the southeast, but has two main flushes in August/September and Jan/Feb, which the nov-Dec app would miss.
August temps will be in the 90s and September in the 80s. down here poa is a winter annual and dies off with the heat. It is well into october before the soil and air temps are low enough for germination. An application of simazine after october 1 will usually do the trick and prevent it. I normally wait til november since you will only get 2-3 months of control.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Skipster,
Good answer with Dr. Boyd and his suggestions. One thing to mention, that he resides with the University of Arkansas in Fayetville. That region is in the Northeastern corner of the state where the winter temperatures get below zero periodically. The use of Simazine and soil make up is severely different from ours in the Delta region.
I have used simazine for poa annua......the stuff did not do the trick.
Dr. Boyd is still a seat director with the State Plant Board but is in early retirement. He still helps with State education in the Turfgrass Department.
I never really liked the simazine as it does leach outward and travel to water areas. As stated above it doesn't really last long enough to fool with it unless it is a part of a split app.
I still use and will continue to use pendi and prodiamine for the control of poa. If it wasn't for the seed head production and harsh density......this grass is beautiful and keep color nice until it heats up.