Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2012, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

products for personal lawn

I am not in the business. I know that there are productives that are cost effective that give you just about the same results sometime if not better.

however are there any products that might be a little more you would use on your personal lawn?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No idea where you live or what your question involves... growing grass to maturity is the smartest and cheapest way to go...
Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually our products are not a whole lot better than products you can get at the hardware store. There are only about 6 weed killer products--and many different combinations of the same 6 products. (Plus several additional products used in the south, with which I am not familiar.Mesotrione for instance.)

May I suggest professional equipment and knowledge is just as important as the product. Follow label directions carefully. Know the species of your grass and apply weed control products only to the grasses safe for use as on the label. In the mean time--Ortho's Weed B Gone Max is a good bet. Be sure to mix and apply it correctly and full strength. Be sure to include a surfactant. Be sure to apply it to the weeds you have correctly identified. Be sure to apply it at the proper time of year. Use a power sprayer and apply at about 2 gallons of mixed solution per 1000 square feet. Follow label safety precautions carefully. Rubber gloves, rubber boots, eye protection.

Ortho's "Chickweed and Clover Killer", costs more, but it contains triclopyr which is one of the best and newest herbicide products.

Hiring a pro is the best way to get professional results.

Until I retired, I did my accountants lawn. I don't do books...he doesn't do grass. Works fine that way.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

northeast.

any products worth paying a little more for that you would use on your personal lawn?
Old 10-11-2012, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Of the 6 products that Riggle has mentioned, none of them will work better for more money... matching the weed to the AI,,, is as far as the effectiveness of the product goes...
Old 10-11-2012, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

mesotrione is nice.
http://www.epestsolutions.com/Tenacity-Herbicide.html
Old 10-11-2012, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I seen companies having chickweed and clover killer. is that a new product labeling? or has that particular one been out. funny how the "horsepower killer" is labeled under that because to an average person which I once was....still no expert....I would have never thought that label would be the best.

anyone use bonide products? I was thinking of using their pre/post for crabgrass.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Until I retired, I did my accountants lawn. I don't do books...he doesn't do grass. Works fine that way.
quote of the week

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
we've had good results with that... lost a couple of accounts because it takes so long to show effects, but they prob would have found some other reason to bail eventually anyway.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Lawn2012start....

I'm a homeowner so I do not post here often, but there is a lot of valuable information here that you cannot get in a homeowner forum. The information here will allow you to have a professional looking lawn for much less money and much less time commitment than the advice a homeowner forum would give you. The reasons should be obvious, these people's time is much more valuable than a home gardener, who might enjoy some of these tasks. And they don't want to waste money on product that doesn't work like a homeowner who might be swayed to try something based on a tv commercial or one unscientific post on the internet.

That being said there are quite a few things homeowners can do that I can't see a LCO doing. Things like baby shampoo to loosen soil, or spraying ferrous ammonium sulfate to get a darker green lawn. Things that are a lot of work for marginal results. Or things that are more expensive that would price an LCO out of work, like using organics or manually pulling weeds or buying 20 dollar a pound seed. If you're interested in this sort of thing, this would be a better place to start: http://aroundtheyard.com/forum.html

But if you value time and have a limited budget the advice you can find here is probably a faster route to a quality lawn.

My two cents...

Edit: My advice... Have you gotten a soil test done and figure out what kind of grass you have. It's hard to recommend products when nobody knows what type of grass or soil you have.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

I looked on the internet and got the basics and more but came across this site and knew I had to join it to get the best info.

a few guys helped me out in replanting two sections of grass in my lawn and with their help neighbors say it looks like a golf course......get the rest of it to look like that.

any....I have turf tall fescue. didnt get a soil test yet. I am going to do that soon though.

20 dollar a pound seed? wow. is this sarcasm or forreal?