Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-28-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I often don't have time to look at threads but this one just grabbed my attention. Its good and has valid points.

In every business there will always be a race to the bottom, who can be the cheapest. That's a race you can't win, and furthermore you don't want to win that. What's left is to race to the top, be the best you can be and provide a remarkable service your client can't live without.

Mowing grass, sure anyone can do that. However, not everyone can stay in communication with their clients, do what they say they'll do when they say they'll do it, be professional, do quality work, etc. If you do all that, and price it where you need to be to make money, stay persistant, you'll grow. It's the same in any business.

The more you let the lowballer bother you, the more it will. And don't give me the "you have to be cheaper because we are in a down economy." Just because the tide is out doesn't mean there are less fish in the ocean.

Believe in your company, what it brings to the table, what it stands for, and the quality that has gotten you to where you are today. Once you do that you'll careless about the lowballers.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 10-28-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
I often don't have time to look at threads but this one just grabbed my attention. Its good and has valid points.

In every business there will always be a race to the bottom, who can be the cheapest. That's a race you can't win, and furthermore you don't want to win that. What's left is to race to the top, be the best you can be and provide a remarkable service your client can't live without.

Mowing grass, sure anyone can do that. However, not everyone can stay in communication with their clients, do what they say they'll do when they say they'll do it, be professional, do quality work, etc. If you do all that, and price it where you need to be to make money, stay persistant, you'll grow. It's the same in any business.

The more you let the lowballer bother you, the more it will. And don't give me the "you have to be cheaper because we are in a down economy." Just because the tide is out doesn't mean there are less fish in the ocean.

Believe in your company, what it brings to the table, what it stands for, and the quality that has gotten you to where you are today. Once you do that you'll careless about the lowballers.
What are low ballers? lol

Well said ETW,

Make your company stand out....in a good way, and you wont have a problem with low-ballers. Give it 100% on every single job every single day, make sure that your clients feel that they are getting their money's worth. Give them reasons to want to pay more. Also be consistent, don't start a job and do great and 6 moths down the road start slacking off because you already got the contract. The list of things goes on and on.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for chiming in ETW and MSlandco. I know I mentioned one of you in my comment above and should've mentioned the other also. You are the guys/businesses I take notes on. You've shown how to be successful and who wouldn't want to sit and listen to what you guys want to say, you're where a lot guys would like to be, successful. Too many get caught up in the "Well I don't want to do what ETWman is doing (as is high end design build), I'm just doing lawns." I think you've given advice that would help any business in and out of the green industry, but too many have the blinders on. I really enjoy reading posts and threads from guys like you two, JimLewis, Idealscape, Zedosix, and I know there are others that I'm forgetting. That information is invaluable and I cannot thank you guys for sharing. The best part is all of you mention mistakes you make and how you need to continually learn to stay ahead and keep pushing forward. These are the things where the pen and paper should be out for taking notes. You could very well just have never been on this site to help, and that would've been a shame. Now I and along with others need to implement things we've learned to be better. That's the hardest part.

I also need to get out of these "lowball" threads.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
Thanks for chiming in ETW and MSlandco. I know I mentioned one of you in my comment above and should've mentioned the other also. You are the guys/businesses I take notes on. You've shown how to be successful and who wouldn't want to sit and listen to what you guys want to say, you're where a lot guys would like to be, successful. Too many get caught up in the "Well I don't want to do what ETWman is doing (as is high end design build), I'm just doing lawns." I think you've given advice that would help any business in and out of the green industry, but too many have the blinders on. I really enjoy reading posts and threads from guys like you two, JimLewis, Idealscape, Zedosix, and I know there are others that I'm forgetting. That information is invaluable and I cannot thank you guys for sharing. The best part is all of you mention mistakes you make and how you need to continually learn to stay ahead and keep pushing forward. These are the things where the pen and paper should be out for taking notes. You could very well just have never been on this site to help, and that would've been a shame. Now I and along with others need to implement things we've learned to be better. That's the hardest part.

I also need to get out of these "lowball" threads.
We are here to help. I don't know everything and have also learned a lot from this forum.

Tags
low cost , ontario , price standards , pricing , underbidding