Register free!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Advertising

Hello all looks like we all have survived another season.

now the big thing how do we obtain more work in the off season for next year

the question I have for all is your opinion on going door to door to advertise I tried mailing postcards that really didnt pan out tried websites online again not really going anywhere residential accounts get some from word of mouth but very slow if not exsistance. I have tried going to commercial accounts but I get the standard phrase it either goes thru corporate then when you contact them they have a management company or give you some kind of run around. obviously we are not the size of luke brothers or Valley crest or others but goal is to be there size someday. any suggestions would be wonderful thank you on both residential and commercial...
Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Just keeptalking to everyone about your business. Always have a monogrammed shirt with telephone # on it. Get a hat with your name and number and always act professional and be clean. Have business cards at all times and give them to evreryone. Always talk yo the neighbors of your customers talk yo them as if you've known them for years. And salesmanship does not start till they have told you NO 5 times. Sales is a numbers game. Get 50. NO's to get 1 yes? Then ask 500 people to get10 new customers. If your feelings get hurt when someone tells you no your not someone that needs to be self employed. Be that sales person always selling its an art. Never lie and don't over sell your ability.
I have seen them come and go in this business. When you stop selling you die.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Advertising

I use a newspaper that goes to everyone's mailbox on two counties. It costs around 70.00 for six weeks with the ad headline in red. It has been my best advertisement so far and cheapest I could find.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bug_guy View Post
. Always talk yo the neighbors of your customers talk yo them as if you've known them for years.
This has been a great tool for me over the years. I mean what a better customer than one that already has seen your work, approves, and best of all does not require any additional travel time to obtain.

Keep a look out for neighboring properties during your visits, do they have a pest problem that you can spot? Is there lawn dry at some point? Is there lawn guy mowing the same way each week rutting the heck out of the lawn? Is there something you can tell them about their lawn that needs fixed in which you can help improve? If so knock on the door and let them know, you will be surprised how many times that works in gaining customers. From the do it yourself type to the ones who have a service that did not know what was going on with the lawn or did not care, I have picked up plenty of customers by doing this. If they are not home, leave them a note with what you noticed and a business card stapled to the note. They may or may not call. Leave a note again when you notice something again...they will most likely will call because they now have the understanding that you not only are able to Identify the problems, but that your are professional enough to care.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!