Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If your looking to grow your company why would you choose to grow slow, I know slow is careful and you can't predict what will happen but I want as many customers as I can possibly handle each season, it does me no good to have equiptment sitting idle worse yet me sitting idle. I went the whole season with one mower, paid it down, almost off but it was such a struggle to keep up once I hit 40 accounts, so I decided to buy, yes finance, another mower for next year, I can now easily do 12+ accounts a day, next year I will finish paying off my first mower and pay down my second mower fairly significantly, I hope to go to 60+ accounts, mind you not all my accounts are cut accounts some are just bed maint fert and squirt and the such, this is not including landscaping jobs, we maintained one or two a week last season.It seems to me that the worse evil is making payroll not mower payments
Old 10-12-2012, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bln View Post
The hardest thing in life is 12 easy payments.
Posted via Mobile Device
If that is the hardest thing in your life then you have a pretty good life. I can easily think of 10 things in life harder than making a payment regardless of whether the money is there or not.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Really.... You don't 1099 employees. If your an independent contractor then yes 1099.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-...or-Employee%3F
Once again here on LS- What work's for one, doesn't work for all. I have about 70 accounts. A 36" and a 48" WB both are belt driven, wore out and work great for me. I'm alright with them. I don't work in the rain, don't have employee's, but from time to time I may need a little help. (here's where the 1099 comes in) Although my son is excited about the new Z I'm not driven to have 15 truck's 15 crew's and everything like that. It's just not for me. So, when commenting you can pretty much tell how big someone is by the question's they are asking. The 15 crew company doesn't ask why they only got 10 phone call's from 1000 flier's but, the guy with a push mower wants to know if he can afford a new truck, Z and other thing's but maybe hasn't thought about winter time. I THINK LS WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE IF EVERYONE WOULDN'T RIP SOMEONE A NEW ONE ON EVERY POST. Most of you are rude and scared someone is going to take a blade of grass from you. With that being said I'm taking the day off to do something with my kids since they are out of school.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
Once again here on LS- What work's for one, doesn't work for all. I have about 70 accounts. A 36" and a 48" WB both are belt driven, wore out and work great for me. I'm alright with them. I don't work in the rain, don't have employee's, but from time to time I may need a little help. (here's where the 1099 comes in) Although my son is excited about the new Z I'm not driven to have 15 truck's 15 crew's and everything like that. It's just not for me. So, when commenting you can pretty much tell how big someone is by the question's they are asking. The 15 crew company doesn't ask why they only got 10 phone call's from 1000 flier's but, the guy with a push mower wants to know if he can afford a new truck, Z and other thing's but maybe hasn't thought about winter time. I THINK LS WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE IF EVERYONE WOULDN'T RIP SOMEONE A NEW ONE ON EVERY POST. Most of you are rude and scared someone is going to take a blade of grass from you. With that being said I'm taking the day off to do something with my kids since they are out of school.
Not ripping anyone. You're spreading false information that can get business owners in big trouble if they follow it. If they are using your equipment, you're directing them on how and when to do the job then they don't get a 1099 simple as that they get a w-2.
http://www.entrepreneur.com/answer/222078
Old 10-12-2012, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been a 1099 before using my bosses equipment. If your guys are 1099 you must suggest they carry their own insurence. Having them use your equipment dosnt mean they have to be w2
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2012, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyWalker View Post
I have been a 1099 before using my bosses equipment. If your guys are 1099 you must suggest they carry their own insurence. Having them use your equipment dosnt mean they have to be w2
Posted via Mobile Device
IRS begs to differ. They make the rules. If he is classified as your boss and can fire you then you should get a w-2. Seen more than a few companies get dinged huge because of this, all it takes is one "employee" to bring it to light.

http://biztaxlaw.about.com/od/indepe...factortest.htm

Last edited by Greg78; 10-12-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyWalker View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Again- We are all different. My insurance covers them unless they make over $20k. It will cover them after that but I have to pay more for the insurance.
Does anyone know when the leaves are going to fall this year. I'm planning a weekend trip to the mtns with my family.
All Echo hand helds
Old 10-12-2012, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow i was wrong. I knew i got screwed at that job but thats worse than I thought
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2012, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
IRS begs to differ. They make the rules. If he is classified as your boss and can fire you then you should get a w-2. Seen more than a few companies get dinged huge because of this, all it takes is one "employee" to bring it to light.

http://biztaxlaw.about.com/od/indepe...factortest.htm
What if I word it like this. (I never pay someone to cut grass. Thats all me or my son)

Boys, I've got a job I need help with. It pays $2.00 an hour plus all the water you can drink. When the job is done you will get your pay + a 1099/w-2 (which ever my account sees fit) . If everybody's good with that then lets go. If not go start your own lawn business. Anyone can start one.
All Echo hand helds
Old 10-12-2012, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
What if I word it like this. (I never pay someone to cut grass. Thats all me or my son)

Boys, I've got a job I need help with. It pays $2.00 an hour plus all the water you can drink. When the job is done you will get your pay + a 1099/w-2 (which ever my account sees fit) . If everybody's good with that then lets go. If not go start your own lawn business. Anyone can start one.
Don't matter how you word it..... IRS is very clear on difference between employee and independent contractor.

Do they perform the work when they want, on their own schedule, with their own equipment, in the order they want?