Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

When I am going to be using the brushcutter attachment I will be using it for about 2-3 hours at a time and rarely. I was thinking that whenever need be, that I could just disconnect the carb and killswitch from the pole mounted control and use one mounted on a bike bar and just hook it up. This will not be something used often but when it is it will be used like it was meant to be.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 Sport with a throttle body mod, strobes, and bumper mounted work lights
16 foot tandem axle landscaping trailer.
Troy Bilt Mustang XP 50 inch (Beast)
KM 130 trimmer, edger, blower (LOVE IT!)
Hl 100K Hedge Clipper (It's alright I guess...)
Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Finally went to go to my one lawn to do today and lo and behold my BR 550 finally crapped out on me. My mowers belt broke too. Is it just me or for some guys out there it is every single day one goes out that at least one thing breaks or goes wrong. I mean every single day it is something. Like a trailer tire, a mower tire, a belt , a broken pulley, a bad coil. This has plagued me for the past two months and I finally broke down and bought the Kombi system on a title loan against my truck so I can continue working. I try my hardest to maintain everything I have but it seems alot of this stuff is random.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 Sport with a throttle body mod, strobes, and bumper mounted work lights
Old 10-11-2012, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's just you!

LOL, J/K. Things seem to come in batches with me but I have enough equipment to work right through it usually. I've got at least 2 of everything so when something goes down or won't start easily I usually don't mess with it, I just grab another one. They're not all perfect replacements but good enough to get the job done.

I suggest you put together an emergency repair kit. I have a spare belt for everything behind the seat of my truck (some I wouldn't want to change in the field though), a tire repair kit, mini cigarette lighter compressor, jumper pack, spare spark plugs, filters, bailing wire, duct tape, JB Weld, epoxy putty, electrical connectors and a pretty full tool kit. I think my biggest ongoing nightmare is keeping all the lights working on my trailers...seems I've always got a bulb out somewhere. I usually have a tire or 2 that needs air every day or 2 until it bothers me enough to do something about it. But yeah, keeping all your equipment running can be a royal PITA.

Oh, as far as the brush cutting goes...if you're just cutting light brush as an ongoing maintenace type thing you should be fine with the weed/grass blade and the loop handle. But if you're doing clearing that requires a circular saw-type blade, you really should be using a bike handlebar unit with a harness.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I think I will use one of my ammo cans for all that stuff. It seems like a good idea and I have all spare fluids like oil, tranny fluid, coolant, as well as straps and chains I just need a toolbox on my truck lol. I appreciate the help guys I need it, I have experience but apparently not enough.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 90 and a 130. The 130 is great for trimming trees, edging and cultivating. I use the 90 for trimming. Cuttig big stuff like you are planning you will definitely like the 130.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I used it for the first time today and it left a gorgeous edge with the curved shaft attachment. It feels really powerful, I have never had anything quite as heavy though but I'm sure I will get used to it, I am a bigger guy 6'3 210 lbs. I wouldnt want to trim shrubs with it for a long time though.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The nice thing about the extended/articulated hedge trimmers is that you usually don't have to hold them up all that high...most work can be done with them around waist level because you can adjust the angle of the head. You can also use a strap for extended use while trimming, although it does limit your reach a bit. When you save up some money you can get a dedicated light weight trimmer like the Husqvarna 223/323/326. A lot of guys like the Kawasaki trimmers too. I'm talking for a light weight/light duty trimmer for routine trimming on manicured lawns.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I only have 4 residential customers, the rest of the properties I maintain are foreclosed and bank owned. I will probably use this thing until it melts away to nothing.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Member

hey darryl I have a solution to "your nightmare" switch the trailer lights over to LEDs. we did this to a trailer we had problems with. they are cheap, easy to find (ebay) and way brighter then trailer lights that use bulbs
Old 10-12-2012, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I wish I could afford LEDs or even trailer brakes at that.