Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Texas Low Water Use Lawn

What do think of my lawn. I was doing a renovation on one side of my duplex and was going to install new grass and irrigation. But this broadleaf has looked good all summer with no extra irrigaton. Think I should kill it and install zoysia?

On a seperate note the rent market is very good in our area. I just put up a sign and had it rented in 3 days. Lot of 47% people with their $815 dollar checks from section 8. My unit has never been qualified by the gov, on purpose.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that is Horseherb and they are actually selling it in nurseries as a groundcover. Tiny yellow flowers from spring to fall. It is a weed in my book.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A weed is a 'plant out of place'... I'm thinking of a few places that would be better off as clover... but people only like,,, what people like...
Old 10-08-2012, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looks like a weed farm not a lawn.

If your example was to convice people to have weed farms also you would be out of a job.

Zoysia, is almost as bad. Just not as ugly. Shorter growing season means less cuts.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post

If your example was to convice people to have weed farms also you would be out of a job.

Zoysia, is almost as bad. Just not as ugly. Shorter growing season means less cuts.
First off it is pretty darn hard to have a green lawn and not irrigate it in Texas. So this is green what is the problem? You haven't seen or heard about zeroscape??? This looks a lot better than most zero scape jobs. And lastly zoysia is the grass of choice in our area take a little less water, stays green, don't have as many diseases and we are still mowing it today. And I expect we will be mowing it up until December.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCreekLawns View Post
I think that is Horseherb and they are actually selling it in nurseries as a groundcover. Tiny yellow flowers from spring to fall. It is a weed in my book.
It's Horse Herb. You can also buy Oxalis and Roadside Aster as some nurseries.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
First off it is pretty darn hard to have a green lawn and not irrigate it in Texas. So this is green what is the problem? You haven't seen or heard about zeroscape??? This looks a lot better than most zero scape jobs. And lastly zoysia is the grass of choice in our area take a little less water, stays green, don't have as many diseases and we are still mowing it today. And I expect we will be mowing it up until December.
Zoysia up here goes dormant a month early and stays dormant about a month later then our cool weather grasses. And looks brown the whole time during the dormant period. Tend to forget how hot and dry it gets in Texas. Still that stuff looks like a weed farm.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Be careful because not all Zoysia types are equal. You do not want Emerald Zoysia. It is so fine textures that it does not mow well unless you have a reel mower. Palisades is nice because it tries to stay partially green all winter. I bet Palisades lawns looked great here last year.

Jammur is a popular Zoysia as well. I have El Toro in my front yard. I got 6.5 pallets for free from Denman Landscape back in 2008. The El Toro tends to come out of being partially dormant a little funky in the spring.

Zoysia hates excess water so do not flood it like you would a new St. Augustine lawn. Zoysia will actually get an orange fungal growth on the blades if you drowned it.

I have also seen Zoysia look wilted and dry after five days of cloudy weather coupled with some rainfall. Zoysias will take shade but they just seem to hate having their diet of sunlight interrupted coupled with wet weather. If you plant Zoysia in too much shade it will thin out slowly and not lose half it's density like St. Augustine and look like crap after a week.

Up north in Maine where I'm from you can shovel the snow off the lawn in the dead of winter and the grass (Fescue or Rye I think) is totally green. It weird for it to be -20F and the lawn is still green.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 10-09-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post

I'll bet not...today we have many folks letting their yards die cause they can't afford the water and or they are moving from areas with plenty of rainfall and are not accustomed to irritating and moving from apartments and foreign countries and have no culture of taking care of lawns
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Be careful because not all Zoysia types are equal. You do not want Emerald Zoysia. It is so fine textures that it does not mow well unless you have a reel mower. Palisades is nice because it tries to stay partially green all winter. I bet Palisades lawns looked great here last year.

Jammur is a popular Zoysia as well. I have El Toro in my front yard. I got 6.5 pallets for free from Denman Landscape back in 2008. The El Toro tends to come out of being partially dormant a little funky in the spring.

Zoysia hates excess water so do not flood it like you would a new St. Augustine lawn. Zoysia will actually get an orange fungal growth on the blades if you drowned it.

I have also seen Zoysia look wilted and dry after five days of cloudy weather coupled with some rainfall. Zoysias will take shade but they just seem to hate having their diet of sunlight interrupted coupled with wet weather. If you plant Zoysia in too much shade it will thin out slowly and not lose half it's density like St. Augustine and look like crap after a week.

Up north in Maine where I'm from you can shovel the snow off the lawn in the dead of winter and the grass (Fescue or Rye I think) is totally green. It weird for it to be -20F and the lawn is still green.
I get a lot of left over grass from King Ranch since we are located next door. So I plant whatever ....do remember toro being one I used. I know it gets fungus but most people are moving away from st aug up north here.