Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use 46-0-0 for our winterizer app spread with our Z-spray. We have had no issues, in fact everyone boasts about the deep/early greenup in the Spring. I do pour over an additional screen when loading just as a precaution because with the spreader turned down this low I want to eliminate the tendency to clog easier.
The added amount of white particles makes up for spreading less material (to the eye.) Basically it still looks like you're spreading slot because it's straight nitrogen. I've never had a customer ask how much stuff I'm putting down. Besides, , they don't pay for fert, they pay for results.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
We use 46-0-0 for our winterizer app spread with our Z-spray. We have had no issues, in fact everyone boasts about the deep/early greenup in the Spring. I do pour over an additional screen when loading just as a precaution because with the spreader turned down this low I want to eliminate the tendency to clog easier.
The added amount of white particles makes up for spreading less material (to the eye.) Basically it still looks like you're spreading slot because it's straight nitrogen. I've never had a customer ask how much stuff I'm putting down. Besides, , they don't pay for fert, they pay for results.
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you saying that you can get a zspray to spread this at 2 lbs per k or are you heavy? I find it hard to believe that any spreader especially a ride on can get that low.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Would like to know too if ride-ons can spread pure urea UFLEXX at a lb/K.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 10-19-2012, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about a lb/k as you asked DA (maybe you meant 2lbs?) We do spread it with our Zspray though. Our spring app goes down at 4lb/k with spreader setting around 6 3/8- 6/12. Our summer apps go down at 3lb/k w/ spreader around 5 1/2. Our winter app goes down around 2lb/k w/ spreader set between 4 1/2 - 5. I do open up the pattern a little more with the last app so perhaps that's how I get away with it. It does work though, and well.

edit: I'm talking amount of product, not lbs of nitrogen. sorry 'bout that.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If I can spread 2 lbs product per K would be good to go. May give it a whirl for the last app
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

Old 10-30-2012, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are u using urea or a uflex
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Was going to try UFLEXX. Starting final fert round later this week.
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok thats what i have done the last two years but sprayed it. Was thinking ppl said they were doing straight urea.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2012, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem3d View Post
gotcha ..just read a study from some university (can't find the link ) basically dismissing a ratio of 1-2-1 1-3-1 ect because phosphorus remains in the soil longer than previously thought. Basically it thought you might only need it for new seed. Anybody have any thoughts?
Steve
That has been talked about a lot in recent years and what I find most interesting about the subject is that most plants require help from biologicals, in a symbiotic relationship,, in order to extract the P from the soil...

Since the quicker that relationship is formed, the better... I don't believe that using "starter fert" (with P) is a good idea in the long term...
Young plants are in need of AM Fungi at birth and the application of P causes a noticeable reduction in AM Fungal activity, so we're actually working against the natural life cycle of the plant...

Then of course there are those who believe that a P application actually enhances germination...

Yes, there are lots of interesting things to learn...
Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
That has been talked about a lot in recent years and what I find most interesting about the subject is that most plants require help from biologicals, in a symbiotic relationship,, in order to extract the P from the soil...

Since the quicker that relationship is formed, the better... I don't believe that using "starter fert" (with P) is a good idea in the long term...
Young plants are in need of AM Fungi at birth and the application of P causes a noticeable reduction in AM Fungal activity, so we're actually working against the natural life cycle of the plant...

Then of course there are those who believe that a P application actually enhances germination...

Yes, there are lots of interesting things to learn...
I'm not aware of any studies that show that symbiotic relationships are required for P uptake, but they can help.

That said, research has shown these beneficial microbes are ubiquitous in the environment and present in such high numbers naturally that there is very little that turf managers can do to impact these, negatively or positively.

In fact, when a study was conducted using 100% autoclaved sand as a growing medium and planted with autoclaved seed (so that no microbes could be introduced from the seed), there were just as many beneficial microbes one week after planting as there were on an undisturbed, untreated pasture (this was some of Dr. Zuberer's work we talked about months ago).

Adding P fert at seeding does not negatively or positively impact soil microbiology. But, it does help grasses establish better.