Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2012, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

REDMAX issues anyone got answers?

Does the ethanol fuel just screw these up? I've got two pieces of redmax equipment that will not start and run well. They need choked and feathered quite a bit. They have a death wish.

I've taken both to two different redmax dealers with no improvements. Gotten carb kits installed and intake gaskets, tune ups. No one has any real answer other than Redmax has carb problems. Not sure if replacing the carbs will improve them so I haven't tried yet.

Read a bunch of the Redmax threads in this forum and seems everyone has the same super cold blooded problem but doesn't report back with any sucessful fixes.

Really like to hear if I need to stay away from Redmax. Love the ergos of the equipment but sick of the problems.

FWIW I had a Redmax trimmer bought in 01 and sold last year that never needed even a carb kit or anything at all other than tune ups. Another bought in 04 that needed one carb kit in 7 years. And I still have a hedgetrimmer bought in 04 that has zero problems, just changed the plug.

Something is definitely up with the newer Redmax equipment.

My helper prefer the redmax's over the stihl trimmer we carry around even with the cold blooded problem. The ergos and weight/noise. Stihl is dependable but just ham handed.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wish I knew! I prefer redmax over stihl but the trimmers seem to only last 1 year or maaybe 2 tops before they start having carb problems. I have never ran ethanol in any of my equipment though. My redmax blower on the other hand is 6-7 years old and I've never had a single problem or had to do any work to it other than spark plugs and filters. I wish the trimmers were like that
Old 10-12-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Of my five pieces of redmax, only one had trouble with the carb-the handheld blower. It was fixed by removing the seal blocking the adjustment screw and adjusting it. I don't know if all their carbs have the possibility of adjustment.

Last edited by 44DCNF; 10-12-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks 44DCNF. Went straight to check out mine and neither has the adjuster. Gonna look for a replacement carb to try out.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

My eb7001 had a carb issue once. Replaced it and it's like new at 10 years old. The only carbs worth rebuilding are the bigger ones and even some of them need to be replaced if you do not have an ultrasonic cleaner. In commercial use we do not have the time to play with a carb that might work after a rebuild, unless you don't need that piece of equipment.

At least with a replacement you will know you have a new carb. I switched to all sthil and had problems with a br600 and was thinking of maybe trying redmax again. With the ethanol these days and the overall quality of stuff your always going to run into problems with any brand.