Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Getting an Exmark Turf Tracer Next Year, Have Some Questions

I am finally going to get myself a walk behind after my first year as all I have used are residential 21/22 inch mowers and I am sick and tired of taking forever to cut some of these yards and the cheap mowers breaking down. After some research on here and an evaluation of my funds I have decided to get an Exmark Turf Tracer S Series. I am putting off getting stand ons or ztrs until I expand and make more money, more than likely the year after, plus I am young and need the exercise.

I do have a few questions though. I am mowing yards that are between .25 and .75 acres, with some minor hills on them. Will the 48 inch deck do the job or would it be worth to upgrade to the 52 inch deck? Will the 52 inch scalp more and be just as easy to turn or is there very little difference between the two?

Also would it be worth getting a 36 inch Turf Tracer for the yards with smaller gates? The reason I ask is I will have an Exmark Commercial 21 X series and a Toro 22198 next year for a couple yards where I do not even think a 32 inch mower will fit though the gate and for ditches, so I am not sure if investing into a good 36 inch mower is worth it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Church2224; 09-17-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The 48" should be fine. If you want a 52" strongly consider the X series instead. They scalp less, have a deeper deck, slightly faster ground speed and other advantages. Can't really advise regarding the 36" other than to ask will you use it enough to justify owning the mower?

Good luck!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have the 52" x series that sjessen spoke of, it's worth the extra cash. I also have a 36" tt and it's nice for gated areas but hard to justify financially.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys, how much does the 52 inch X series start at ? I know the 60 inch in my area is around $8,000.00

Not sure how often I will use the 36 inch to start with, maybe 5-6 yards a week, but I am also considering it just in case I get some one else to come along and he can use it while I am using the 48/52, but that is quite the investment so I am not sure...

If that does not happen I will just get the S series 48 now and later get an x series.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church2224 View Post
Thanks guys, how much does the 52 inch X series start at ? I know the 60 inch in my area is around $8,000.00

Not sure how often I will use the 36 inch to start with, maybe 5-6 yards a week, but I am also considering it just in case I get some one else to come along and he can use it while I am using the 48/52, but that is quite the investment so I am not sure...

If that does not happen I will just get the S series 48 now and later get an x series.
Don't know how much cash you have or how many properties you maintain. If you shop a bit you could get two used mowers, a 48" and a 52" used for the price of one new unit.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Don't know how much cash you have or how many properties you maintain. If you shop a bit you could get two used mowers, a 48" and a 52" used for the price of one new unit.
Right now it is about 15, hopefully growing next year. I have tried looking for used units but not much is available. I saw a few 60 inch units for sale the other day but I am not sure that I want that big of a machine on my smaller properties.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have had some success getting used units via Ebay. Best advice is to try to purchase units 1 year old. There have been good deals on Lawnsite from time to time. The fall and winter months are good times to pick up quality used units.

With 15 properties you should be able to get by with one mower. Then, as you grow, keep looking for another unit.

Good luck.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will keep an eye out on here, thank you.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Rarely will you need 2 mowers running on the same property when doing residentials. If you have a guy trimming and one on a mower they will finish about the same time. Ideally starting out a 48"-52" WB, 21" and hand helds will be all you need.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
Rarely will you need 2 mowers running on the same property when doing residentials. If you have a guy trimming and one on a mower they will finish about the same time. Ideally starting out a 48"-52" WB, 21" and hand helds will be all you need.
Sounds like I am on the right track. I am trying to go for a walk behind, two commercial 21s, two trimmers, a backpack blower and a hand held blower in my trailer next year, eventually adding an X series Turf Tracer and a ZTR or stand on once business grows and I get bigger lawns, not sure what brands yet but I have time to research.