Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2012, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bob-Cat Classic Pro 36" OR eXmark Metro 36"

Hey guys going to buy a mower, if you had a choice which would you run? Most my lawns will be 1/4 acre fescue here in Maryland.

Also another option is a 32" metro to get through those small gates.
Thanks alot

Last edited by recycledsole; 10-17-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know bob-cat has fixed deck, but does exmark? is it that much better to have floating?
thanks
Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Metro is fixed deck.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 36" metro and it cuts awesome here in the south
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone know about the discharge sizes?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

On your northern grasses its a toss up if you ask me. I think Bobcat has made more deck improvements in recent years and does have a larger discharge opening. Engine and transmission are virtually the same. Ive owned both and cant say anything bad about either.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bobcat has some nice features on the walks that set them apart a bit. Not sure if its still the case but for example: On the handles where your control levers on each side attach there is a pin going through the handle. Well Bobcat drills a hole in the handle and puts a roll pin in the hole and the pin goes through the roll pin. Exmarks in the past have just drilled a hole and put the pin in so the hole gets bigger and bigger as the machine ages. The roll pin takes alot longer to wear through.

Just little things like that. Now if you want ECS controls you are going to have to go Exmark.

Both are good machines. I would go with the dealer you like more probably. If its the same dealer, I would lean toward the Bobcat but I am a bit biased. Been selling them for 10 years or more.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 exmark walk behinds 1998 48" and 2003 36" couldn't be happier with both of them. They cut well in all conditions. The 36" fits through all the gates on my accounts. I would have to consider the viking hydro from exmark for the hills around here. I am not a fan of the floating deck of the turf tracer. A lot of extra weight when you can just push the handles of the metro and lift the deck over obstacles as needed. I would also like to try out the ecs handles exmark puts out now. That being said my father runs bobcats and he loves the cut they leave behind. He says they cut better in wet grass. I have not used them i can only repeat what he has said. hope this helps
Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've been needing a 32" or 36" for a while. I have made up my mind to go with the new 30" coming out. Have you concidered that as option? Light weight and similar cost to a 5 year old metro. No controls to mess with. Easy to adjust height. Takes up less space on a trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones68 View Post
I have 2 exmark walk behinds 1998 48" and 2003 36" couldn't be happier with both of them. They cut well in all conditions. The 36" fits through all the gates on my accounts. I would have to consider the viking hydro from exmark for the hills around here. I am not a fan of the floating deck of the turf tracer. A lot of extra weight when you can just push the handles of the metro and lift the deck over obstacles as needed. I would also like to try out the ecs handles exmark puts out now. That being said my father runs bobcats and he loves the cut they leave behind. He says they cut better in wet grass. I have not used them i can only repeat what he has said. hope this helps
If you like pushing the handles down while mowing to raise the front end...you will never want to go near the ECS controls.