Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Both exmark and toro have new 30" commercial versions. I took pictures and posted in this thread.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=389021

They cost less than half of the residential version so the OP would have already saved money and got many years of service.
Posted via Mobile Device
How are they selling a commercial version for less then half?
Old 10-12-2012, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
How are they selling a commercial version for less then half?
LOL, oops boy did I mess that up! I meant less than double...so he will have spent more buying the residentials again for the second season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Both exmark and toro have new 30" commercial versions. I took pictures and posted in this thread.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=389021

They cost less than half of the residential version so the OP would have already saved money and got many years of service.
Posted via Mobile Device
Were they out this summer? My Exmark dealer never knew about them coming out . I will go back in this thread and compare but it would not of made a difference this year if they were not available. Has anyone demoed and reviewed them yet?

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 10-12-2012, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really don't want to start a full converstaion on the subject, I posted this simply for people who wanted info.

But: We have 22 cuts in our season. I have a minimum of 5 staff, they cut 3 properties per day, and they are doing 9 hour days. So, my math is this: 6 hours of cutting per day X 5 days a week X 22 Weeks = 660 Hours. And we are still cutting past the 22nd cut!

As for sharpening the blades.....everyone has differant types of grass. I am in Sask, Canada, we can not mulch our grass (very well), nor is discharging an option. These mowers are still cutting well.....for our grass.

Ps: I am not new to the industry, I have been doing this for 12 years, and I do know what to look for.

End of my story: I love the weight of these machines, the simplicity, and I love having brand new ones every year. Commercial models....I have Ventrac's, Walker's, and JD quick trac's....i know the benifit of a commercial model anything....and yet I still will be buying the 5 non-commecial model's next year. You can take it for whats its worth.

Everyone can draw a conclusion based on speculation, hype or actual reviews.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh my...
Consider for 1 second that there are people that don't live in your geographical area. There are 250000 people in this city. 99% of residential properties require the use of a 21" mower only (or a 30" now). Almost all of our lots are 50x100.
When I come to a property of 75 condo units every yard is small and broken up. Again, I own a 48" Lesco Hydro WB, a 36" Walker WB, a 48" Walker MTGHS, Plus more....
And yet the 30" Toro is still my tool of choice. Yes I can stick the walker MTGHS to save small amounts of time.
But remember....we MUST bag our grass! And yes I have an accelerator catcher for my 36" walker, still, my toll of choice is the 30" Toro's.

If I can get a whole summer trouble free without changing oil...I will. If I don't sharpen my blades, and they still cut well...I won't. If I can buy new mowers every year....I will!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As stated in my spring time post, these 4 Toro's were an experament with. I wanted to see if they would hold up to commercial use....and after everyone said "it will not work, it is terrible idea". I have proved it will work.
$4000 in cost for new mowers every year, coupled with 0 maintenance, and little chance of breakdowns (cuz they are new), this works for me.
I could spend $2500 x 4 = $10000 for 4 commercial models next year, and maintain them... but after 2.5 years ($ per $) and 1500 hours I will start having breakdowns....breakdowns cost money (time).

I am finding comedy with this post. Everyone has a better idea, everyone would do things differantly. Yet in spring...everyone said "your plan on 4 - 30" ers is stupid". And here I am defending my proof??? lol.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Home depot doesnt carry the Timemaster or even Honda in Canada.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

We switched to the World Lawn 33" mowers with Kaw engines 3 years ago and will never look back...with average maintenance they are still running very good....should get one more season out of them no problem........BTW we DO sharpen the blades and change the oil...
Old 10-13-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by instyle View Post
As stated in my spring time post, these 4 Toro's were an experament with. I wanted to see if they would hold up to commercial use....and after everyone said "it will not work, it is terrible idea". I have proved it will work.
$4000 in cost for new mowers every year, coupled with 0 maintenance, and little chance of breakdowns (cuz they are new), this works for me.
I could spend $2500 x 4 = $10000 for 4 commercial models next year, and maintain them... but after 2.5 years ($ per $) and 1500 hours I will start having breakdowns....breakdowns cost money (time).

I am finding comedy with this post. Everyone has a better idea, everyone would do things differantly. Yet in spring...everyone said "your plan on 4 - 30" ers is stupid". And here I am defending my proof??? lol.
I think its funny how all these guys criticize anyone who finds a new way of cutting grass successfully. Many try to act like they are so much smarter, or wiser because they only buy commercial. I too only buy commercial ZTR's, but like you walk behind mowers are throw away I won't waste time buying commercial walk behinds as long as I have other options that work just as well
for me. I just checked my blades after a summer of use only 1 very small knick , dang those are good blades. Now the Timemaster will last me 6 yrs at 100 hrs per yr. I'm fine with that. The commercial exmark would last longer but if I'm going to spend money for commercial equipment I will use it to buy a new ztr. Now before everyone gets excited I realize if you are cutting extremely tall grass you will need something other than the timemaster. Thats fine , but really I have not heard how well the new 30" Exmark cuts
in those conditions , so it will be interesting to compare, exmark should blow away the toro TM but will it?

But saying that I don't criticize those that choose to buy commercial WB. I just wish everyone would not act like they do when someone does it different than them. Remember there always more than 1 way to skin a cat!

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 10-14-2012, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Disposable mowers, whatever works; there's no guarantee commercial equipment is going to last x no. of years either. Well yes there is quite literally a guarantee, but you know what I mean. Something goes wrong, & warrantees don't always pan out as expected, exclusions, accusations of wrong gas, user error, dealer stauling, excuses, waiting on parts etc.

Ultimately OP is paying a premium for the convenience of having new machines every year, without worrying about too much maintenance. Whether that's worth it may vary per individual needs, but it sounds like op is happy. Idk about no blade sharpening for 600hrs though, & assuming they keep lasting.

interesting, thanks for sharIng.
Closed Thread