Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I think its funny how all these guys criticize anyone who finds a new way of cutting grass successfully. Many try to act like they are so much smarter, or wiser because they only buy commercial. I too only buy commercial ZTR's, but like you walk behind mowers are throw away I won't waste time buying commercial walk behinds as long as I have other options that work just as well
for me. I just checked my blades after a summer of use only 1 very small knick , dang those are good blades. Now the Timemaster will last me 6 yrs at 100 hrs per yr. I'm fine with that. The commercial exmark would last longer but if I'm going to spend money for commercial equipment I will use it to buy a new ztr. Now before everyone gets excited I realize if you are cutting extremely tall grass you will need something other than the timemaster. Thats fine , but really I have not heard how well the new 30" Exmark cuts
in those conditions , so it will be interesting to compare, exmark should blow away the toro TM but will it?

But saying that I don't criticize those that choose to buy commercial WB. I just wish everyone would not act like they do when someone does it different than them. Remember there always more than 1 way to skin a cat!

Just saying no oil changes or sharpening blades is just plain lazy!!! Figure those mowers would last a lot longer if they were taken care of and not abused!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can see how this would work well. Run them all season, at the end of the season take parts to make 3 decent mowers, keep the best for backup and sell the other 2 next spring. Then buy 4 more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
Just saying no oil changes or sharpening blades is just plain lazy!!! Figure those mowers would last a lot longer if they were taken care of and not abused!
I agree with you I would change the oil too . But maybe under his conditions he has figured out the extra time to do so just doesnt make enough difference. He gambled and it worked for him.
I surprised those Briggs lasted 600 hrs that way, many on here claimed the briggs would not hold up over 300 hrs. I know mine always starts on the 1st pull and doesn't use oil yet.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 10-15-2012, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

He is not proposing a new business model. It is what he did- and it worked for him. Bravo!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dont know about Canada tax laws but in the states four new at 100% write off in 1 yr is a Very Very smart plan..
Old 10-15-2012, 04:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey I'd be lying if I said the time master isn't a tempting purchase to someone who would put around 350-400 hours a summer on thier walk behind. Especially after the OP banged out 600 hrs 4 out of 4 times with no maintenance and they all still run fine. Maybe it's my position....I plan on starting up a business this spring. I have a 52"stander but need a WB for residentials due to most properties here are also avg 50x100. Currently I work for a company with ferris hydro cuts. Great machines, total work horse but at 3.5 times the price for 2 extra inches coupled with not wanting to have a huge over head before landing any contracts. Time master might be the answer for my 1st walk behind. By the time it dies, it should make me enough to replace it with a hydro cut.
Thank you OP for starting this thread.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Moderator, Online Communities

ok, to each his own I guess...some may not agree with the way others do things, however, no need to take a shot at someone because of how they do things

seems this thread went off course from what the op intended so I am closing this one down

thanks