Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-26-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Found a good price on a 21 hp Briggs and Stratton (Intek)

Hey guys, just wanted to let anyone looking for a B/S replacement engine that I found a good deal on eBay for a 21 hp (single cylinder) B/S Intek for a total of 510.00 (muffler included). I also like the fact that the engine has pressurized lubrication (uses an oil filter). Other engines with a variety of hp ratings are available at comparable prices.

The seller was "Equipatron" and as I said, the total was 510.00 w/no tax (for buyers out of state) and free shipping. The warranty is 2 yrs noncommercial and 1 yr commercial. There is also a 14 day money back guarantee.

I'll do a review later on after the engine has a little time on it.
Stan
PS. Thanks for the tip on the "500.00 engine on ebay". I can't remember who mentioned that to me (in a post here on LS) but I appreciate it!
Old 09-27-2013, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Stan, I know what you are pointing out in your post, but just a quick clarification- having pressurized lubrication doesn't necessarily mean there will be an oil filter. I have two JD 21" WB's that are both pressurized lubrication, but neither have a filter. The filter kit was an option (that can still be bought) for them.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Stan let us know how it turns out. The Intek doesnt have a great reputation but for that price its worth a shot. What piece of equipment did it go in?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Stan let us know how it turns out. The Intek doesnt have a great reputation but for that price its worth a shot. What piece of equipment did it go in?
Posted via Mobile Device

Roger that! I had my first and last Intek. It was blowing blue smoke from the get go, and the dealer kept telling me that the crankcase breather plugged up, but it was never in anything but the cleanest of conditions, no dust or anything. It was just a crappy engine.

For the good of the OP though, I hope my experience was isolated and your Intek works out better. For that price it's certainly worth a shot.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Inteks are notorious for weepy/leaky gaskets, so keep an eye on them on the new engine Stan, but I've seen some go for a long time like that before giving up. For the price though, how can you go wrong?
Old 09-27-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the tips, I thought that I'd give it a shot at that price. The engine is going on a 60" tow (pull behind) mower that is only used about 60-75 hrs a year. If it lasts 300 -400 hrs I'll be happy.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It ought to work good for that application since it only has to drive the deck. Just make sure to keep a real close eye on the air filter since it'll be "down and dirty" so to speak.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
It ought to work good for that application since it only has to drive the deck. Just make sure to keep a real close eye on the air filter since it'll be "down and dirty" so to speak.
I'll do that Ridin'.
As for the oil filter you mentioned, up until I got my BB Lightning (with 26 hp/liquid cooled Kawi) I'd never had a small engine with an oil filter so I thought having an oil filter and being pressure lubed went hand in hand.

Live and learn!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
I'll do that Ridin'.
As for the oil filter you mentioned, up until I got my BB Lightning (with 26 hp/liquid cooled Kawi) I'd never had a small engine with an oil filter so I thought having an oil filter and being pressure lubed went hand in hand.

Live and learn!
Most engines with pressurized lube have a screw in dipstick and an O ring inside the dipstick cap to seal the crankcase pressure inside the engine.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Especially if you do like a lot of people I see and run your tow mower to the rt side of the leading mower. This causes the leading mower's discharge to go directly in front of (and sometimes directly on) the tow mower. That's why I run my tow mower on the left side of the leading mower.