Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

echo has an outstanding rep for quality,dependability? mabey 20 years ago but not today.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
echo has an outstanding rep for quality,dependability? mabey 20 years ago but not today.
The only issue I have with echo is their blower because of the carb but nothing major. We need to get back on topic though about the t282 though haha.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
what makes you say that? I know there's not a lot scientifically quantitative data for all this, but I've read a lot of information on this forum, read reviews on various websites and on the whole echo seems to have fewer problems than stihl.

We've also experienced a change to gasohol which has had major consequences in the two cycle market. I believe from the majority of what I've read from a mass of users that echo is rock solid when it comes to overall reliability.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Man View Post
I have the same question/problem I have to choose between the shindaiwa t282 or the echo srm-280t. I've had a shindaiwa t272 for 5 years or a little more running it hard and it's tough as nails but since echo and shindaiwa merged I don't know if they are less reliable or something not bashing echo because I use their blowers and edgers and love them, but can anyone answer this?
Posted via Mobile Device
For some reason our shop had a few problems with the srm-280 due to the dirt getting past the filter. I elected to run the srm265 and now have 9 of them at various ages. it is a winner maybe better than the srm261.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
For some reason our shop had a few problems with the srm-280 due to the dirt getting past the filter. I elected to run the srm265 and now have 9 of them at various ages. it is a winner maybe better than the srm261.
That's interesting I wonder what is causing that. Thanks for the feedback!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2012, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

what make say that is experience. i used all echo at first then i noticed their products didnt last like they used too . i also do repairs on the side and most what is brought me is echo.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does ANYONE have any insight on the t282 there has to be someone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

A review after one year of "light" commercial use.

This is an update to this thread I started about a year ago. I have now owned the T282 a little under one year. When I say light commercial use, I have used this trimmer two days per week (and I was solo) during fall, winter, spring and three days per week (all day, since I had an employee) during the summer.

Full Disclosure: About 2 months after purchasing, this trimmer fell of my trimmer rack at approximately 30-40 mph. The guy behind me picked it up and followed me into the parking lot and the only visible damage was the guard was broken the plastic casing was cracked a bit. It fired right up...
-
PROS:

Plenty of power for the thickest grass, brush, or small woody plants (depending on the line you use).

Lightweight for its size, I don't mind carrying it around all day. But, I wouldn't mind a lighter one for regular customers, and using this when the grass is super thick.

Plenty of torque. It doesn't get bogged down very easily, and powers through most everything that I throw at it.

CONS:

First, it NEVER starts on first pull. It doesn't matter if I shut it off 5 minutes ago at the last house and its still hot. I always have to choke it, pull twice, then pull two or three more times after choking it. Depending on how cold it is, it may die when feathering the throttle. Once its going it runs fine.

Second, the carburetor has given me problems. I had one replaced under warranty within 6 months of purchase, and am about to have that one replaced. When I brought it in the first time, it would not run with the choke open. Choke had to be over halfway shut to keep it running and even then its performance wasn't great. It is now doing the same thing again and when the problem happens, it does so quickly. It doesn't spend two weeks gradually getting worse. It will run fine one week, then crappy the next. Mechanic at my dealer's said this is not an uncommon problem with this model.

As a side note: I am extremely diligent with maintenance on my equipment. I bought with my cash and I want it to perform at its best and last me as long as possible.

I will probably not purchase this model again unless something changes. I would like to try the T242 since that one is light and has been around longer. I'm not writing them off because of one bad product (especially since it did fall off a trailer at 40 mph)

My next trimmer may be the SRM-280T by Echo. Incidentally, I have an Echo PAS-266 that I use as a daily edger, backup trimmer, hedge trimmer, chainsaw, etc. It gets used pretty frequently and I've NEVER had a problem with it. It starts right up at full throttle even if its sits a week and never misses a beat.