Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-13-2012, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

But ask them and they'll tell you more smoke=more power!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

More smoke means more unburnt fuel which means a less efficent engine.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one.

Would NEVER buy another. Every day driving it I'm nervous. not even 60,000 miles yet

Spent a lot of money on various repairs (idlers, belts shredding, erg, oil cooler, back brake locks up sometimes, ac, water pump, fuse issues.... etc etc)

Gonna ride out the newer erg/oil repairs and then hopefully do a bulletproof on it next year.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 10-14-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I want to buy a 550 dump truck. 2004 -97k miles - 11' fold down rugby dump - no smoke on start up(watched the mirror when cranking it up cold), but i took it around the block, got up to about 40mph, edge insight was reading approx 189 190 on eot and ect, everything was great til I got back to the yard and was talking to the owner while the truck was still running. there was a little white smoke coming out of the tailpipe when it was warmed up. The owner isn't knowledgeable on the 6.0s but suggested it was because the truck has been sitting for months.

Carfax and Oasis say that it had the tank, injectors, and pump done at 40k miles due to the lining of the chassis cab trucks coming loose and clogging everything. warranty ended at 50 k so from then til 97k there is nothing listed but safe to say not much else was done. all fluids and filters recently done.

I spoke to 1 diesel mechanic and he said it could be dirty EGR, cracked EGR, or head gaskets. the first two I will buy the truck in a heartbeat ($14k) and do an egr delete and coolant filter but if its heads I dont want to get involved unless its free or damn close to it.

another mechanic said to look for bubbles in the degas bottle while running.

the truck pulls hard, sounds great, and isn't throwing any codes.
unfortunately I can't get on the highway and wind it out to really read the ect eot since it isn't registered or insured, maybe if I show up with the cash he will let me?

just need a starting point to determine if its the heads or the egr. maybe I'm thinking too far into it but I know the 6.0s can be great trucks if they don't blow up and bankrupt you

a pic for motivation

Do the pressure test get it nice and hot then slowly and I mean slowly open the cap for the coolent tank and if it feels like it wants to shoot off most likely you need to do heads and gaskets if not and buy the. Truck if you want it to last you have to keep it cool so an oil cooler and all that other **** should be done and once you bullet proof it you got a strong fast motor there and you could even hip and get even more power out of it
Old 10-15-2012, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Usually those coolant caps are the cause of the head gasket failure. Think about it, they use that same coolant cap for a diesel engine on the smallest engine ford makes. It never held enough pressure from the get go. Best thing to do about that is go to your local auto parts store and get a new cap. Also that extra smoke you were talking to in your first post could be caused by a sticky injector. Try putting some diesel kleen or 2 cycle oil in the tank when filling up. Please note, I am by no means a mechanic. Just going off of what I read in the past when searching for a 6.0 and what others around me use for their 6.0's.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you end up buying the truck?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No i got some advice on powerstroke.org that they make test strips to test for combustion gas in the coolant res so I've been tryin to locate those and then go back and take it for a longer drive and test it out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd have to say sticky injector from sitting. The FICM isn't an expensive fix but it does suck when you go to leave the shop in the morning and the truck just turns. My 6.0 has had over 9k put into it since I bought it. It has been running well since they replaced the FICM, oil pump, and six injectors this past spring.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I have one and work on them from time to time. Like some have said letting a vgt turbo sit for that long is bad. The smoke could be a number of things. I wouldn't worry to awful much about it unless its a constant smoke. Biggest thing is do a egr delete and get rid of that egr cooler!! Just do your maintance on it and you will be fine. Alot of people complain about doing 2-3K for egr delete and headstuds on a 6.0, but you can say the same for injectors in a duramax(or tranny for that matter) or a tranny in a dodge.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

leaning more towards a international low pro. more GVW and a real truck frame. plus they seem to have less skeletons in the closet and are priced more reasonably
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3360156372.html