Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-27-2015, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

2 man crew with pickup only. What should they carry? Read Description

I'm trying To get a good idea for what this 2 man crew should carry with them on mowing routes. This is for next year btw.

I have 2004 ford ranger 6ft bed with 2 side toolboxes.

What I was thinking: 1 30" toro
Echo srm230
Echo pas with trimmer, hedge, edger attachment
1-2 stihl br600
Already own all this
Parts, clippers, line and misc. goes into toolboxes

I would like for this crew to be able to mow about 80 lawns per week. Also do occasional extra work like hedge trimming and fert. for some residential.

Since I only have 1 mower. I was worried that if it breaks down and they don't know how to fix it. I would lose out on about an hour of their labor because they would need to come pick up a back up mower. I thought of adding a cargo holder in the hitch and putting a 21" on it. I also could use that for the days they put fertilizer out, to hold the spreader and possible a bag or two of fert.

Does it sound like I'm missing anything?
All the equipment I listed is already owned except the cargo holder. I also already have a little over 40 accounts. So everything is close to in place for next year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2015, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Adding the cargo holder makes it harder to get things in and out of the back of the truck. If the 21 is going on it that's the one they will use cause its the easiest on and off. Most likely they will have to remove it to get to the 30 anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2015, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJlittleC View Post
Adding the cargo holder makes it harder to get things in and out of the back of the truck. If the 21 is going on it that's the one they will use cause its the easiest on and off. Most likely they will have to remove it to get to the 30 anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I thought of that being in the way and would be annoying to I strap it every time to get the 30" out of the bed. I could put the 30" on it but it would over hang or I could have one made for it with some sides. Only thing to strap it down then would be a bungee.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2015, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a carrier for my 22 on occasion. I rachet strap it down across the deck. It stays put even when I hit the potholes and speed bumps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2015, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrant711 View Post
Yeah I thought of that being in the way and would be annoying to I strap it every time to get the 30" out of the bed. I could put the 30" on it but it would over hang or I could have one made for it with some sides. Only thing to strap it down then would be a bungee.
Posted via Mobile Device
Scratch that. I found one on Amazon for $165. It's 32"x48" with sides. I could use that and put the 21" in the bed and that would also give plenty of room for fert and spreader in the back of the bed. Also if someone is sick and I'm down to one guy for the day. He can get the 30" off without needing some wooden ramps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2015, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would recommend a handheld piece of equipment for each job. Attachments get old and wear quickly if your constantly changing them out.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
I would recommend a handheld piece of equipment for each job. Attachments get old and wear quickly if your constantly changing them out.
Thanks, yeah I know what your talking about my pas265 is getting pretty shaky with the weedeater and starts to numb my hand. With two guys on the lawns we do, the attachments wouldn't really get used much. By the time the guy finishes mowing the other guy is usually done weedeating. So the Main trimmer would get the bulk of the use. I rarely use the edger unless is necessary. A sole hedge trimmer would rarely be needed and if it is I'll let them use the one on my truck.

Another thing I need would be a 3-4ft step ladder. I'd like for them to be able to do anything needed on the property that day as far as maintenance goes. So I think I got everything covered besides a list of tools and parts to keep stocked on the truck.

Any other lawn equipment that would help? I normally carry a shred n vac too, but can't think of anything else
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2015, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrant711 View Post
I'm trying To get a good idea for what this 2 man crew should carry with them on mowing routes. This is for next year btw.

I have 2004 ford ranger 6ft bed with 2 side toolboxes.

What I was thinking: 1 30" toro
Echo srm230
Echo pas with trimmer, hedge, edger attachment
1-2 stihl br600
Already own all this
Parts, clippers, line and misc. goes into toolboxes

I would like for this crew to be able to mow about 80 lawns per week. Also do occasional extra work like hedge trimming and fert. for some residential.

Since I only have 1 mower. I was worried that if it breaks down and they don't know how to fix it. I would lose out on about an hour of their labor because they would need to come pick up a back up mower. I thought of adding a cargo holder in the hitch and putting a 21" on it. I also could use that for the days they put fertilizer out, to hold the spreader and possible a bag or two of fert.

Does it sound like I'm missing anything?
All the equipment I listed is already owned except the cargo holder. I also already have a little over 40 accounts. So everything is close to in place for next year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ranger can hold 36" intermediate walkbehind, a 30" and a 21"

Trimmers go in rack on one side of bed, blowers on rack on other side of bed.
Build a wooden "head ache rack" in the front of the bed that will hold trimmer line and gas cans.
It's just a wood box that sits above the bed.
Some aluminum ramps and it will all fit fine.

You can also get a velke for the 36" and it would all still fit.

edit: if you want to hold a few bags of fert etc. think about a roof rack for the ranger and maybe some airbags....youre starting to get a little heavy for it.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like this thread, you can also consider buying a metal basket that they use for open trailers and mount that behind the back window of the truck bed.

Whatever rack you use you can really utilize and hang your tools there for more space in the bed.

I've seen trimmer and blower racks installed on the side rails in trucks from big to small. Doesn't look bad either
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2015, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSLLC View Post
I like this thread, you can also consider buying a metal basket that they use for open trailers and mount that behind the back window of the truck bed.

Whatever rack you use you can really utilize and hang your tools there for more space in the bed.

I've seen trimmer and blower racks installed on the side rails in trucks from big to small. Doesn't look bad either
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I thought about that too. Not sure on off i'll do it because I don't want to spend much but that would work great for rakes, shovels, brooms and gas cans and other stuff to go in the box.

I didn't really think about a place for rakes. I guess those could just go on top and get set on the side of the truck each stop
Posted via Mobile Device